Portable Python - free portable development environment !

Discussion in 'Python' started by perica.zivkovic@gmail.com, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi there,

    I would like to announce the *first* beta release of the Portable
    Python 1.0 beta. From today Portable Python website is also online and
    you can find it on the location www.PortablePython.com.

    About:
    Portable Python is a Python programming language preconfigured to run
    directly from a portable device (USB stick, iPod etc.), enabling you to
    have, at any time, portable programming environment. Just download and
    extract to your portable device and in 10 minutes you are ready to
    create your next Python application. No registry modifications,
    installations, totally portable.

    Where to find it:
    http://www.portablepython.com

    regards,

    Perica Zivkovic

    P.S. did I mentioned that it is free? :)
    , Jan 11, 2007

  2. Steve Holden Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I would like to announce the *first* beta release of the Portable
    > Python 1.0 beta. From today Portable Python website is also online and
    > you can find it on the location www.PortablePython.com.
    >
    > About:
    > Portable Python is a Python programming language preconfigured to run
    > directly from a portable device (USB stick, iPod etc.), enabling you to
    > have, at any time, portable programming environment. Just download and
    > extract to your portable device and in 10 minutes you are ready to
    > create your next Python application. No registry modifications,
    > installations, totally portable.
    >
    > Where to find it:
    > http://www.portablepython.com
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Perica Zivkovic
    >
    > P.S. did I mentioned that it is free? :)

    And what, besides is freeness, differentiates it from Movable Python?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    Blog of Note: http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
    Steve Holden, Jan 11, 2007

    Right now there is not a big difference with Movable Python.
    - Smaller size but less libraries in default package
    - Portable Python comes with django
    - Uses SciTE not SPE

    but this is first release and I have big plans ;)

    grtz

    Perica

    Steve Holden wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I would like to announce the *first* beta release of the Portable
    > > Python 1.0 beta. From today Portable Python website is also online and
    > > you can find it on the location www.PortablePython.com.
    > >
    > > About:
    > > Portable Python is a Python programming language preconfigured to run
    > > directly from a portable device (USB stick, iPod etc.), enabling you to
    > > have, at any time, portable programming environment. Just download and
    > > extract to your portable device and in 10 minutes you are ready to
    > > create your next Python application. No registry modifications,
    > > installations, totally portable.
    > >
    > > Where to find it:
    > > http://www.portablepython.com
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >
    > > Perica Zivkovic
    > >
    > > P.S. did I mentioned that it is free? :)
    > >

    > And what, besides is freeness, differentiates it from Movable Python?
    >
    > regards
    > Steve
    > --
    > Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
    > Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
    > Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
    > Blog of Note: http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
    , Jan 12, 2007
  4. Stef Mientki Guest

    wrote:
    > Right now there is not a big difference with Movable Python.
    > - Smaller size but less libraries in default package
    > - Portable Python comes with django
    > - Uses SciTE not SPE
    >
    > but this is first release and I have big plans ;)

    any plans for a something like the Enthought-edition ?

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    Stef Mientki, Jan 12, 2007

    perica> but this is first release and I have big plans ;)

    Including maybe other platforms than Windows?

    Skip
    , Jan 12, 2007

    yes on both last messages :)

    More platforms will be included if there is enoug people interested in
    that.

    and something like Enthought edition will be there :) with even more
    packages and options :) at least that is my goal for the future :) But
    I must say I will also always be carefull with size of the distro :)
    thats also important right? :)

    in this first release I focused on making it possible to work with
    django (because that is what I needed) and more functionality, libs,
    ide's will be added in future versions.

    more ideas?

    grtz

    Perica

    wrote:
    > perica> but this is first release and I have big plans ;)
    >
    > Including maybe other platforms than Windows?
    >
    > Skip
    , Jan 13, 2007
  7. Stef Mientki Guest

    > and something like Enthought edition will be there :) with even more
    > packages and options :) at least that is my goal for the future :) But
    > I must say I will also always be carefull with size of the distro :)
    > thats also important right? :)

    Coming from MatLab, that's not the most important thing ;-)

    > more ideas?

    Embedded use of Python (e.g. Python4Delphi)...
    .... I can imagine it needs special requirements ?

    cheers,
    Stef
    Stef Mientki, Jan 13, 2007

    Stef,

    I never used Python4Delphi but I added it to the
    list-of-things-to-examine :)

    FOR ALL: I created google group for Portable Python
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/portablepython and posted few items
    for discussion there :) Please if you have ideas/suggestions post it
    there!

    grtz

    Perica

    On Jan 13, 12:06 pm, Stef Mientki <>
    wrote:
    > > and something like Enthought edition will be there :) with even more
    > > packages and options :) at least that is my goal for the future :) But
    > > I must say I will also always be carefull with size of the distro :)
    > > thats also important right? :)Coming from MatLab, that's not the most important thing ;-)

    > > more ideas?Embedded use of Python (e.g. Python4Delphi)...

    > ... I can imagine it needs special requirements ?
    >
    > cheers,
    > Stef
    , Jan 13, 2007