Portable random number generator

Gus Gassmann

I presume this should be a FAQ, but I have not found much that is of
use...

For a project I am involved in I need to do some random testing. I am
looking for a random number generator with the following principles:

1. Portable. The project runs on several platforms, and I would like
to be able to support the testing on all of them. In particular,
starting from a given seed the sequence must be the same on 32-bit
and 64-bit machines.
2. Starting points must be random. I want to use an initial seed that
depends in some way on the clock.
3. Reproducibility. If I detect an error, I must be able to capture
the system state so I can reproduce the problem.
4. Simplicity. I am not looking for a fancy Mersenne twister; the
entire state of the RNG should be describable in a single seed.
Statistical properties are secondary.

I am working in C++, but a C solution would be equally useful. Any
thoughts?

Thanks

gus

news

In comp.lang.c++ Gus Gassmann said:
[...]

You know, there is this thing called Google...

(And finding such RNGs isn't specially hard with it.)

Eric Sosman

I presume this should be a FAQ, but I have not found much that is of
use...

For a project I am involved in I need to do some random testing. I am
looking for a random number generator with the following principles:
[...]
I am working in C++, but a C solution would be equally useful. Any
thoughts?

My first thought is that you haven't explained why you weren't
satisfied with the answers you got the first time you asked this
exact same question. My second thought is to refer you to those
same answers. My third thought is that I'd really be unhappy if
the same question from the same questioner popped up a third time.