portably encrypting a file system's partition, directory and/or file

Discussion in 'Java' started by news, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. news

    news Guest

    Hi *,

    I have firewire and USB devices with partitions/logical drives, whole
    directories and/or files I would like to encrypt. The thing is that I
    need to be able to just plug in the thing on any x86 machine running a
    commercial OS that would just take it (and AFAIK the only filesystem
    that even a MAC would seamlessly 'mount' is vfat/FAT32)

    is there anyway to do that?

    I have read quite a bit about it and I still don't find exactly what I
    need.

    Also, why exactly does encryption belong in the kernel? I think once
    you make it a kernel-depending functionality 'portability' to other OS
    goes out the window

    Are there libraries out there (of course, preferably OSS ones) which
    you could compile for different OS and have access to pluggable
    devices?

    I crossposted this message, becuase to me, these portability and security
    questions reach out into different subject areas

    thanx
    otf

    news, Nov 25, 2005