porting 32bit app to 64bit

viren.chaudhary2008

I have just few questions. We are thinking of porting our 32 bit
application to 64 bit as we need to use more memory usage and want to
take advantage of 64 bit processor. Currently my applications which
has lot of webservices also is compiled in Visual studio 2003
using .net 1.1 To convert to 64 bit, i will be using visual studio
2005 and compile it in x64 platform. I have following questions

1. Do i have to build the application in 64 bit machine before
deploying it to 64 bit windows 2003 servers(which is our prod
servers)?

2. I have lot of third party Com object which i used it in our
application. We did created a wrapper over it using tlbimp.exe and
refering .Net wrapper in our projects. The question is underlying com
dlls are still 32 bit. will it work when we use it in 64 bit
application? do i have to create a wrapper again and if i have to,
has it to be don using tlbimp.exe 64 bit version? Because if i just
compile my application in 64 bit platform fin 32 bit machine and then
deploy to 64 bit servers, i do get error loading those com objects. As
of now we don't have 64 bit version of those dependent com dlls.Does
it mean we cannot port our app to 64 bit?

Any kind of help or articles regarding this would be of great help.

bruce barker

a limitation of 64 bit windows is that a 64 bit application cannot load
a 32 bit dll. this means if you host your webservice as 64 bit .net
application, it can only load 64 bit dll's.

if your com components are not available in 64 bit, then you will have
to host them in a 32 bit application and call then via dcom or .net
remoteing.

as for building your webservice you can build a 64 bit version on win32.
you should get the web deployment project download to help with this.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)