"Porting" a desktop app to a web application - best practices ?

2

(2b|!2b)==?

I have a (3-tier) desktop application that I developed entirely in C++,
comprising mostly of Win32 DLLs as well as some ATL COM objects.

Since my existing architecture is 3-tier, moving to N-tier should be
theoretically "doable", although, I am not quite sure (from a
practical/programming point of view), what it entails. Essentially, my
architectural layers are as ff:

1). Db related logic is in the DB layer (mostly implemented by stored
procedures)
2). Core business logic resides in Win32 Dlls and ATL COM components
3). Presentation logic (i.e. GUI) is done using VB (classic) and MFC

I want to change the application from a desktop application to a web
application - i.e. users will no longer needs to install the app
locally, and will use a browser to interact with the application.
Technically, this involves replacing the presentation layer (VB6 forms
and MFC classes etc) with an (X)HTML layer.

Does anyone on here have any experience of doing something like this?. I
would like to know teh general guidelines as to how about this
"conversion", and also any GOTCHAs I need to be aware of when
"converting" the application form a desktop app to a web app.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello (2b|!2b)=,

Well... the recomendation is that "get a good book about asp.net 3.5" and
start working. What u need to understand that the web client differs from
windows client in tems of stateness - u need concentrate on States, Cookies,
ViewState, Sessions to understand how to implement your client
Because that stuff doesn't exists in winforms

Another area where put attentions is controls - if you have comples UI u
need to understand which libs and controls you are going to use (www.componentsource.com)

There is no specific answer we can gave u about this, but actually I'd look
on asp.net 3.5 + ASP.NET toolkit extentions (asp.net mvc, dynamic language)
+ jQuery + telerik Controls

---
WBR,

(> I have a (3-tier) desktop application that I developed entirely in
(> C++, comprising mostly of Win32 DLLs as well as some ATL COM objects.
(>