    the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
    you please suggest the right way of doing this.

    Thanks.

    Rakesh, Jun 29, 2008

  2. Rakesh

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Re: Porting a JSF based application from Netbeans 6.1 to EclipseGanymede 3.4

    Rakesh wrote:
    > I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
    > 3.4 Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
    > to the following -
    >
    > import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;
    >
    > The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
    > the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
    > you please suggest the right way of doing this.

    As the name implies then this is a SUN implementation specific class.

    Using that makes the application non portable.

    If you want to proceed then you need to find the proper jar file. It
    seems as if SUN Project Rave is not separate downloadble. So you will
    need to look in the NB tree after the jar file.

    jar tvf foobar.jar | grep com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 29, 2008

  3. Rakesh

    David Segall Guest

    Rakesh <> wrote:

    >Hi -
    > I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
    >3.4 Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
    >to the following -
    >
    >import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;
    >
    >The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
    >the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
    >you please suggest the right way of doing this.

    I believe that com.sun.rave contains the components used by the
    NetBeans Visual Web Developer. There are some standard JSF components
    in the Visual Web palette but most are derived from Java Studio
    Creator. If you did not use the Visual Web Designer but selected
    "Visual Web JavaServer Faces" instead of "JavaServer Faces" as the
    framework when creating your project you can probably back out by
    re-creating your JSF pages in NetBeans with some cut and paste. If you
    did use the Visual Web Designer then, even if a solution to your
    problem exists, you need some expert help. Try the nbusers mailing
    list <http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/top.html>.

    David Segall, Jun 30, 2008
  4. Rakesh

    Rakesh Guest

    On Jun 29, 4:42 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Rakesh wrote:
    > > I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
    > > 3.4Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
    > > to the following -

    > > import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;

    > > The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
    > > the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
    > > you please suggest the right way of doing this.

    > As the name implies then this is a SUN implementation specific class.
    >
    > Using that makes the application non portable.
    >
    > If you want to proceed then you need to find the proper jar file. It
    > seems as if SUN Project Rave is not separate downloadble. So you will
    > need to look in the NB tree after the jar file.
    >
    > jar tvf foobar.jar | grep com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean
    >
    > Arne

    Surprisingly, I grepped for this in the list of jar files in
    netbeans-6.1 (on Linux, but that should not matter I guess) and could
    not find the reference to com/sun/rave (let alone the actual class).

    Rakesh, Jul 2, 2008
  5. Rakesh

    Rakesh Guest

    On Jun 30, 10:07 am, David Segall <> wrote:
    > Rakesh <> wrote:
    > >Hi -
    > > I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
    > >3.4Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
    > >to the following -

    > >import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;

    > >The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
    > >the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
    > >you please suggest the right way of doing this.

    > I believe that com.sun.rave contains the components used by the
    > NetBeans Visual Web Developer. There are some standard JSF components
    > in the Visual Web palette but most are derived from Java Studio
    > Creator. If you did not use the Visual Web Designer but selected
    > "Visual Web JavaServer Faces" instead of "JavaServer Faces" as the
    > framework when creating your project you can probably back out by
    > re-creating your JSF pages in NetBeans with some cut and paste. If you
    > did use the Visual Web Designer then, even if a solution to your
    > problem exists, you need some expert help. Try the nbusers mailing
    > list <http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/top.html>.

    Thanks David. I will follow this one-up in the nb question.

    A slightly more generic question - What are some of the best toolkits
    available for doing Web Development.
    JSF looks like a huge overkill to me, with the myriad of code going
    underneath.

    I recently explored Apache Wicket. It looks very nice to me and
    speeding up the development. Anyone has any experiences with the
    same / encountered limitations with the same. Thanks.

    Rakesh, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Rakesh

    Rakesh wrote:
    > A slightly more generic question - What are some of the best toolkits
    > available for doing Web Development.
    > JSF looks like a huge overkill to me, with the myriad of code going
    > underneath.

    "Overkill" is such a great criticism - it doesn't require objective
    measurement, explanation of "enoughkill" or evidence that the needs it
    does fill are not widespread. You simply wave your magic pejorative
    and dismiss all the considerable value of the JSF framework with a
    sneer. "Overkill" - well, let's not go there then.

    So before I refute your assertion that JSF is "overkill", much less
    "huge overkill", please tell us what is appropriate "enoughkill"?

    What evidence do you have that the need for the power of JSF is not
    widespread?

    How well do you know JSF, to determine that it is such a "huge
    overkill"?

    I've been learning JSF, and in its simplest use cases I find it no
    more difficult than regular JSP programming with EL and JSTL. With
    barely more effort than that, I get components that do all sorts of
    things that would be very, very difficult for me to recapitulate, like
    tree displays and declarative connection to business logic. JSF
    provides "huge" functionality with "not huge" effort.

    Even better, you can use libraries like Tobago on top of JSF and get
    prepackaged functionality that you'd take months to recreate. So far
    I'm finding that JSF "hugely" accelerates productivity, and the
    professionalism of the finished product.

    YMMV.

    --
    Lew

    , Jul 2, 2008
  7. Rakesh

    Rakesh wrote:
    > On Jun 29, 4:42 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Rakesh wrote:
    >>> I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
    >>> 3.4Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
    >>> to the following -
    >>> import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;
    >>> The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
    >>> the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
    >>> you please suggest the right way of doing this.

    >> As the name implies then this is a SUN implementation specific class.
    >>
    >> Using that makes the application non portable.
    >>
    >> If you want to proceed then you need to find the proper jar file. It
    >> seems as if SUN Project Rave is not separate downloadble. So you will
    >> need to look in the NB tree after the jar file.
    >>
    >> jar tvf foobar.jar | grep com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean

    > Surprisingly, I grepped for this in the list of jar files in
    > netbeans-6.1 (on Linux, but that should not matter I guess) and could
    > not find the reference to com/sun/rave (let alone the actual class).

    Strange, because I have it !

    C:\temp>jar tvf appbase.jar | grep
    "com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean"
    494 Fri May 30 03:33:32 EDT 2008
    com/sun/rave/web/ui/appbase/AbstractRequestBean.class

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 2, 2008
  8. Rakesh

    David Segall Guest

    Rakesh <> wrote:

    >A slightly more generic question - What are some of the best toolkits
    >available for doing Web Development.
    >JSF looks like a huge overkill to me, with the myriad of code going
    >underneath.

    I use NetBeans Visual Web Developer which hides most of the complexity
    until you want to do something unusual. By then you will probably be
    sufficiently familiar with the "myriad of code" to make the changes.
    However, I think Sun's attempt with Java Studio Creator to produce a
    point and click development product that could compete with ASP.NET
    failed partly because of the underlying complexity that you refer to.

    >I recently explored Apache Wicket. It looks very nice to me and
    >speeding up the development. Anyone has any experiences with the
    >same / encountered limitations with the same.

    I haven't used it but, as they point out, there are many competing
    frameworks to make web development in Java easier. I do have a good
    test project for you. Try using it to write a version of TinyURL
    <http://tinyurl.com>. The only reason I chose JSF was because Sun
    favour it and Sun provide the development tools.

    David Segall, Jul 3, 2008