Porting a JSF based application from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse Ganymede3.4

Rakesh

Hi -
I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
3.4 Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
to the following -

import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;

The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
you please suggest the right way of doing this.

Thanks.

Arne Vajhøj

Rakesh said:
I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
3.4 Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
to the following -

import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;

The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
you please suggest the right way of doing this.

As the name implies then this is a SUN implementation specific class.

Using that makes the application non portable.

If you want to proceed then you need to find the proper jar file. It
seems as if SUN Project Rave is not separate downloadble. So you will
need to look in the NB tree after the jar file.

jar tvf foobar.jar | grep com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean

Arne

David Segall

Rakesh said:
Hi -
I am trying to port some applications from Netbeans 6.1 to Eclipse
3.4 Ganymede. I got the following list of compilation errors, similar
to the following -

import com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean;

The import com.sun.rave cannot be resolved. I am trying to figure out
the appropriate JAR file that needs to be added to the build path. Can
you please suggest the right way of doing this.
I believe that com.sun.rave contains the components used by the
NetBeans Visual Web Developer. There are some standard JSF components
in the Visual Web palette but most are derived from Java Studio
Creator. If you did not use the Visual Web Designer but selected
"Visual Web JavaServer Faces" instead of "JavaServer Faces" as the
framework when creating your project you can probably back out by
re-creating your JSF pages in NetBeans with some cut and paste. If you
did use the Visual Web Designer then, even if a solution to your
problem exists, you need some expert help. Try the nbusers mailing
list <http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/top.html>.

Rakesh

As the name implies then this is a SUN implementation specific class.

Using that makes the application non portable.

If you want to proceed then you need to find the proper jar file. It
seems as if SUN Project Rave is not separate downloadble. So you will
need to look in the NB tree after the jar file.

jar tvf foobar.jar | grep com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean

Arne

Surprisingly, I grepped for this in the list of jar files in
netbeans-6.1 (on Linux, but that should not matter I guess) and could
not find the reference to com/sun/rave (let alone the actual class).

Rakesh

I believe that com.sun.rave contains the components used by the
NetBeans Visual Web Developer. There are some standard JSF components
in the Visual Web palette but most are derived from Java Studio
Creator. If you did not use the Visual Web Designer but selected
"Visual Web JavaServer Faces" instead of "JavaServer Faces" as the
framework when creating your project you can probably back out by
re-creating your JSF pages in NetBeans with some cut and paste. If you
did use the Visual Web Designer then, even if a solution to your
problem exists, you need some expert help. Try the nbusers mailing
list <http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/top.html>.

Thanks David. I will follow this one-up in the nb question.

A slightly more generic question - What are some of the best toolkits
available for doing Web Development.
JSF looks like a huge overkill to me, with the myriad of code going
underneath.

I recently explored Apache Wicket. It looks very nice to me and
speeding up the development. Anyone has any experiences with the
same / encountered limitations with the same. Thanks.

conrad

Rakesh said:
A slightly more generic question - What are some of the best toolkits
available for doing Web Development.
JSF looks like a huge overkill to me, with the myriad of code going
underneath.

"Overkill" is such a great criticism - it doesn't require objective
measurement, explanation of "enoughkill" or evidence that the needs it
does fill are not widespread. You simply wave your magic pejorative
and dismiss all the considerable value of the JSF framework with a
sneer. "Overkill" - well, let's not go there then.

So before I refute your assertion that JSF is "overkill", much less
"huge overkill", please tell us what is appropriate "enoughkill"?

What evidence do you have that the need for the power of JSF is not
widespread?

How well do you know JSF, to determine that it is such a "huge
overkill"?

I've been learning JSF, and in its simplest use cases I find it no
more difficult than regular JSP programming with EL and JSTL. With
barely more effort than that, I get components that do all sorts of
things that would be very, very difficult for me to recapitulate, like
tree displays and declarative connection to business logic. JSF
provides "huge" functionality with "not huge" effort.

Even better, you can use libraries like Tobago on top of JSF and get
prepackaged functionality that you'd take months to recreate. So far
I'm finding that JSF "hugely" accelerates productivity, and the
professionalism of the finished product.

YMMV.

Arne Vajhøj

Rakesh said:
Surprisingly, I grepped for this in the list of jar files in
netbeans-6.1 (on Linux, but that should not matter I guess) and could
not find the reference to com/sun/rave (let alone the actual class).

Strange, because I have it !

C:\temp>jar tvf appbase.jar | grep
"com.sun.rave.web.ui.appbase.AbstractRequestBean"
494 Fri May 30 03:33:32 EDT 2008
com/sun/rave/web/ui/appbase/AbstractRequestBean.class

Arne

David Segall

Rakesh said:
A slightly more generic question - What are some of the best toolkits
available for doing Web Development.
JSF looks like a huge overkill to me, with the myriad of code going
underneath.
I use NetBeans Visual Web Developer which hides most of the complexity
until you want to do something unusual. By then you will probably be
sufficiently familiar with the "myriad of code" to make the changes.
However, I think Sun's attempt with Java Studio Creator to produce a
point and click development product that could compete with ASP.NET
failed partly because of the underlying complexity that you refer to.
I recently explored Apache Wicket. It looks very nice to me and
speeding up the development. Anyone has any experiences with the
same / encountered limitations with the same.
I haven't used it but, as they point out, there are many competing
frameworks to make web development in Java easier. I do have a good
test project for you. Try using it to write a version of TinyURL
<http://tinyurl.com>. The only reason I chose JSF was because Sun
favour it and Sun provide the development tools.