    tricks and gotchas? It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.

    Thanks

    Edward
    Edward, May 20, 2010

  2. Edward

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 20-05-2010 05:44, Edward wrote:
    > Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
    > their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
    > asked us to do a port. Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
    > tricks and gotchas? It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.

    SQLServer -> Oracle
    ASP.NET -> JSP/Servlet/JSF
    C#/VB.NET -> Java
    ADO.NET -> JDBC
    NHibernate/EF -> Hibernate/JPA
    Spring.NET -> Spring
    etc.

    Most likely there will not be any fundamental problems, but
    it will be a complete rewrite.

    If you explain a little bit more about what the app uses,
    then you may get a more precise answer.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 21, 2010

  3. Edward

    Edward Guest

    On May 21, 1:25 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > On 20-05-2010 05:44, Edward wrote:
    >
    > > Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
    > > their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
    > > asked us to do a port.  Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
    > > tricks and gotchas?  It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.

    > SQLServer -> Oracle
    > ASP.NET -> JSP/Servlet/JSF
    > C#/VB.NET -> Java
    > ADO.NET -> JDBC
    > NHibernate/EF -> Hibernate/JPA
    > Spring.NET -> Spring
    > etc.
    >
    > Most likely there will not be any fundamental problems, but
    > it will be a complete rewrite.
    >
    > If you explain a little bit more about what the app uses,
    > then you may get a more precise answer.
    >
    > Arne

    Thanks Arne. I'd been looking at tools to do some of the work
    (Grasshopper from Mainsoft, for example). The clients are backing off
    now, and are more actively considering making an exception for the
    current architecture.

    Edward
    Edward, May 21, 2010
  4. Edward

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 21-05-2010 02:45, Edward wrote:
    > On May 21, 1:25 am, Arne Vajhøj<> wrote:
    >> On 20-05-2010 05:44, Edward wrote:
    >>> Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
    >>> their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
    >>> asked us to do a port. Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
    >>> tricks and gotchas? It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.

    >> SQLServer -> Oracle
    >> ASP.NET -> JSP/Servlet/JSF
    >> C#/VB.NET -> Java
    >> ADO.NET -> JDBC
    >> NHibernate/EF -> Hibernate/JPA
    >> Spring.NET -> Spring
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Most likely there will not be any fundamental problems, but
    >> it will be a complete rewrite.
    >>
    >> If you explain a little bit more about what the app uses,
    >> then you may get a more precise answer.

    > Thanks Arne. I'd been looking at tools to do some of the work
    > (Grasshopper from Mainsoft, for example).

    I have heard about the product, but never used it.

    In general I don't believe in silver bullets.

    > The clients are backing off
    > now, and are more actively considering making an exception for the
    > current architecture.

    They probably realized that the port would cost a lot of money.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 21, 2010