Porting ASP (WInDNA) application to .Net

Ritesh

Hi All,

It will be great if any one of you can suggest which strategy to take
for porting an Asp application to Asp.Net.

Just to give you an idea about the present architecture of the
application:

GUI: is in Asp

COM: some business components are used which are core to functionality
but most of the application has no demarcation of layers, which means
connections are directly opened thru asp pages instead of calling DB
connections from COM objects.

DB: it is SQL Server. Lot of stored procedure and functions, which
comprise of business logic.

Now the problem: There are lot of Change Request coming thru which now
requries changing the core of the application logic. And it means
changing the most of the application. That's why we think now it should
be ported to .Net instead of investing more in asp technology.

But the problem in hand is that we have to keep the application running
and the change request are to be developed incrementaly, not at one go,
which is making our decision difficult.

Any pointers would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,
Ritesh

Peter Kelcey

Ritesh

You might consider using a horizontal migration strategy. With this
type of strategy you can convert one entire layer at a time and then
deploy it.

I would suggest that you convert the ASP pages first using the ASP.NET
Migration assistant. The new ASP.NET pages can still communicate with
your COM objects and can still use the old ADO objects that you are
currently using to communicate with your database.

For your next step, you can convert the COM objects to .NET assemblies.
Finally, you can migrate the old ADO stuff to ADO.NET.

I'd recommend the following site for further reading.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/migration/aspmig/aspmigasst/default.aspx

You can find the Migration assistant there as well as an overview on
how best to convert your application.

Peter Kelcey