Porting ASP (WInDNA) application to .Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ritesh, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Ritesh

    Ritesh Guest

    Hi All,

    It will be great if any one of you can suggest which strategy to take
    for porting an Asp application to Asp.Net.

    Just to give you an idea about the present architecture of the
    application:

    GUI: is in Asp

    COM: some business components are used which are core to functionality
    but most of the application has no demarcation of layers, which means
    connections are directly opened thru asp pages instead of calling DB
    connections from COM objects.

    DB: it is SQL Server. Lot of stored procedure and functions, which
    comprise of business logic.

    Now the problem: There are lot of Change Request coming thru which now
    requries changing the core of the application logic. And it means
    changing the most of the application. That's why we think now it should
    be ported to .Net instead of investing more in asp technology.

    But the problem in hand is that we have to keep the application running
    and the change request are to be developed incrementaly, not at one go,
    which is making our decision difficult.

    Any pointers would be of great help.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ritesh
    Ritesh, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Ritesh

    Peter Kelcey Guest

    Ritesh

    You might consider using a horizontal migration strategy. With this
    type of strategy you can convert one entire layer at a time and then
    deploy it.

    I would suggest that you convert the ASP pages first using the ASP.NET
    Migration assistant. The new ASP.NET pages can still communicate with
    your COM objects and can still use the old ADO objects that you are
    currently using to communicate with your database.

    For your next step, you can convert the COM objects to .NET assemblies.
    Finally, you can migrate the old ADO stuff to ADO.NET.

    I'd recommend the following site for further reading.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/migration/aspmig/aspmigasst/default.aspx

    You can find the Migration assistant there as well as an overview on
    how best to convert your application.

    Peter Kelcey
    Peter Kelcey, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Ritesh