Porting C++ application on 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX - ld : 0711-317 ERROR : Undefined symbol

Discussion in 'C++' started by r.nikhilk@gmail.com, Nov 16, 2005.

    We are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX platform.
    (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0). We are able
    to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in xlC
    compiler. But, when we link all these libraries to one of the main
    applications, we are getting the following errors:

    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::good() const
    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::error() const
    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .operator<<(ostream&,const
    DateTime&)
    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .DateTime::~DateTime()
    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class
    "FxCharFile": first non-inline virtual function in "FxCharFile" is not
    defined.
    ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class "Record":
    first non-inline virtual function in "Record" is not defined.
    gmake: *** [CustDelta] Error 8

    Thanks,
    -Nikhil

    , Nov 16, 2005

  2. Puppet_Sock Guest

    wrote:
    > We are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX platform.
    > (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0). We are able
    > to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in xlC
    > compiler. But, when we link all these libraries to one of the main
    > applications, we are getting the following errors:
    >
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::good() const
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::error() const
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .operator<<(ostream&,const
    > DateTime&)
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .DateTime::~DateTime()
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class
    > "FxCharFile": first non-inline virtual function in "FxCharFile" is not
    > defined.
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: Virtual table for class "Record":
    > first non-inline virtual function in "Record" is not defined.
    > gmake: *** [CustDelta] Error 8

    What you've got there is not a language problem. You've missed a
    header file or a library or connected to the wrong library or not set
    a link-time flag or not recompiled one source file or some such.

    Anyway, you need to try this in a news group that talks about your
    platform, library, and compiler. Here we don't know from FxCharFile,
    as that is not part of the standard C++ language. Since you mention
    AIX, I presume you need a news group talking about programming
    for AIX.
    Socks

    Puppet_Sock, Nov 16, 2005

    Here, FxCharFile() is my own function which I wrote for my application.
    This FxCharFile() is the part of my own library. This is the libray to
    which Iam linking my main application.

    Thanks,
    -Nikhil

    , Nov 16, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Hi,

    Please quote the message you are answering to.

    > Here, FxCharFile() is my own function which I wrote for my application.
    > This FxCharFile() is the part of my own library. This is the libray to
    > which Iam linking my main application.

    Still, these are linker errors and linkers are not standard C++. Please
    ask in a newsgroup supporting your system.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Mcdougall, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Jim Langston Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are porting C++ applications from 32 bit to 64 bit on AIX platform.
    > (The current version of AIX is 5.3 and xlC verison is 8.0). We are able
    > to compile the applications by including the -q64 option in xlC
    > compiler. But, when we link all these libraries to one of the main
    > applications, we are getting the following errors:
    >
    > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .FxCharFile::good() const

    Okay, can you show us your definition of FxCharFile's good() function and
    how you use it? Maybe it's something not too difficult to figure out.

    Jim Langston, Nov 17, 2005