    some place I can get a quick summary of the differences, just
    enough to help me rip out the code that depends on Microsoft's
    version?

    Addle Jones, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Addle Jones wrote:
    > I have the source code for an application that was written using
    > Microsoft's apparently defunct variant of Java. It does not compile
    > under the standard JDK from Sun and I get a lot of errors that
    > are unfamiliar to me. I need to update this application so that it
    > runs under a standard JVM.
    >
    > I don't know a thing about Microsoft's variant of Java. Is there
    > some place I can get a quick summary of the differences, just
    > enough to help me rip out the code that depends on Microsoft's
    > version?

    In terms of language, the main Microsoft specific feature is delegates.
    Declarations with the 'delegate' keyword will need to be replaced by
    interfaces. Where methods are treated as if they are fields, an inner
    class will easily replace it.

    More of a problem is the use of Microsoft specific libraries (which IIRC
    have package names starting with com.ms, that indicates they are from
    Morgan Stanley...).

    Tom Hawtin

    Thomas Hawtin, Dec 18, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Addle Jones <> wrote:

    > I have the source code for an application that was written using
    > Microsoft's apparently defunct variant of Java. It does not compile
    > under the standard JDK from Sun and I get a lot of errors that
    > are unfamiliar to me. I need to update this application so that it
    > runs under a standard JVM.
    >
    > I don't know a thing about Microsoft's variant of Java. Is there
    > some place I can get a quick summary of the differences, just
    > enough to help me rip out the code that depends on Microsoft's
    > version?

    MRJ is the Macintosh Runtime for Java and has nothing to do with
    Microsoft. It too is defunct.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Addle Jones

    Addle Jones Guest

    Steve W. Jackson wrote:
    > MRJ is the Macintosh Runtime for Java and has nothing to do with
    > Microsoft. It too is defunct.

    The code I have used to run on both Windows and (classic) Mac,
    so maybe mrj is not the right term. At the time this code was
    written, I thought Apple had some kind of deal going with Microsoft
    to support their Java extensions. Maybe I don't have it right. Or
    maybe the code was written with J++. Unfortunately, the people who
    originally wrote the code are gone and completely out of
    contact.

    In any case, it seems that Apple now has a standard JVM in OS X. I
    need the code to run on current Mac OS X and Windows systems, and
    would not mind if it ran on other systems as well.

    Addle Jones, Dec 19, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    Addle Jones <> wrote:

    > Steve W. Jackson wrote:
    > > MRJ is the Macintosh Runtime for Java and has nothing to do with
    > > Microsoft. It too is defunct.

    > The code I have used to run on both Windows and (classic) Mac,
    > so maybe mrj is not the right term. At the time this code was
    > written, I thought Apple had some kind of deal going with Microsoft
    > to support their Java extensions. Maybe I don't have it right. Or
    > maybe the code was written with J++. Unfortunately, the people who
    > originally wrote the code are gone and completely out of
    > contact.
    >
    > In any case, it seems that Apple now has a standard JVM in OS X. I
    > need the code to run on current Mac OS X and Windows systems, and
    > would not mind if it ran on other systems as well.

    Then you're in luck...

    Apple currently has JDK 1.6 in development with no official word on its
    scheduled release. But all Mac OS X releases have included a JDK. The
    current version, Mac OS X 10.4 (aka Tiger), came (if memory serves) with
    1.4 that was updated to 1.4.2 and later 1.5 became available...I may be
    remembering that incorrectly. But which specific Java you want may
    depend in some part on whether you have a requirement to support
    specific versions of Mac OS X.

    I suggest visiting <http://developer.apple.com/java/> for a start.
    While Apple's JVM does in fact support Swing and all the usual stuff,
    its UI and environment will need some extra steps if you want your
    application to be able to act like a traditional Mac application -- one
    that can be double-clicked, put a proper icon on the Dock, have a proper
    name in the menu bar, etc. But pure, unadulterated Swing will work and
    simply not look quite like the norm. You can find a wealth of
    information starting there. If you want more, you might want to
    subscribe to the java-dev mailing list that's offered. It's not too
    high-traffic (though it has its days) and its archive is available to
    search. You'll find a link on that page for more on it.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Addle Jones wrote:
    > I have the source code for an application that was written using
    > Microsoft's apparently defunct variant of Java. It does not compile
    > under the standard JDK from Sun and I get a lot of errors that
    > are unfamiliar to me. I need to update this application so that it
    > runs under a standard JVM.
    >
    > I don't know a thing about Microsoft's variant of Java. Is there
    > some place I can get a quick summary of the differences, just
    > enough to help me rip out the code that depends on Microsoft's
    > version?

    If you posted some of the errors, then you may get
    some more specific advice.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Dec 24, 2006