porting Python

Jive Dadson

Is there documentation on how to port Python to a new operating system?
The system has a lot of posix/MSWindows system calls. By hacking around
on the Windows version a bit, I've been able to get it to compile and
run some simple programs, writing to files and whatnot. But I really
don't know what I'm doing. Right now I'm having trouble getting
"threading" to load. I haven't figured out how to set up the search
path, "site.py", and no telling what else.

Thanks.

Brad Clements

Jive Dadson said:
Is there documentation on how to port Python to a new operating system?

I've ported Python to:

a) Novell NetWare/NLM (that's a true port)

b) cross compiled to uClinux on 68000 processor (not so much a port, more of
a hack-out-bits job)

c) Re-ported Python to Windows CE (2.0, 2.1 and 3.0) boot strapped by Mark H
(who worked from .. ?? someone else's stuff) and subsequently I handed my
stuff to other talented folks.

--

Anyway it's best to start with the simplest build (no threading, no posix
functions).. Then progressively add components once you have the build

Note that current Python 'builds' use python to bootstrap optional modules,
so that will most likely need adjustment in your environment.

Regarding site.py and search paths, your search path is environment
specific, so that can really be entirely up to you how that works.

--

You mentioned OnTime, which looks like a win32 work-alike. Though, I can't
see what's going to be "real-time" about Python, I guess that depends on

email me directly at bkc at murkworks.com if you wish.