    other than using JRuby?

    Thanks in advance,
    Ulrich
    Prakash Maria susai, Feb 24, 2009

  2. On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Prakash Maria susai wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are using some scripts written in Ruby and want to intergated these
    > with a Java Tool.
    > For this, we need to call these Ruby scripts from Java.I came to know
    > that this can be done using JRuby.
    > The Ruby scripts have been developed and run from Eclipse IDE.
    >
    > If so, pls let us know how easy is it to port the Ruby Scripts to
    > JRuby.
    >
    > Also, is there any other means of calling the Ruby scripts from Java
    > other than using JRuby?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ulrich

    If they are in pure ruby 1.8 and have no dependency to C-Extensions
    (even through gems), chances are very high[1] that they run as
    expected.

    Otherwise, it's a question whether those extensions are available
    in a Java Version or through FFI (Foreign Function Interface). FFI
    is pretty uncommon at the moment, but there is quite a bunch of
    gems that implement their extensions both for MRI and JRuby.

    Regards,
    Florian

    [1]: At this point: thanks to the JRuby-Team for the great work.

    --
    Florian Gilcher

    smtp:
    jabber:
    gpg: 533148E2
    Florian Gilcher, Feb 24, 2009

  3. Florian Gilcher wrote:
    > On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Prakash Maria susai wrote:
    >

    >> Also, is there any other means of calling the Ruby scripts from Java
    >> other than using JRuby?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Ulrich

    > If they are in pure ruby 1.8 and have no dependency to C-Extensions
    > (even through gems), chances are very high[1] that they run as
    > expected.
    >
    > Otherwise, it's a question whether those extensions are available
    > in a Java Version or through FFI (Foreign Function Interface). FFI
    > is pretty uncommon at the moment, but there is quite a bunch of
    > gems that implement their extensions both for MRI and JRuby.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Florian
    >
    > [1]: At this point: thanks to the JRuby-Team for the great work.
    >
    > --
    > Florian Gilcher
    >
    > smtp:
    > jabber:
    > gpg: 533148E2

    Hi,

    Thanks for your response.
    Also is there any other mechanism of calling Ruby from Java
    other than using JRuby?

    Thanks in advance,
    Ulrich
    Prakash Maria susai, Mar 3, 2009