Porting web-based application to offline

at google

Our company has a web-based application and the boss wants to make it
runnable in a notebook without any network connection. I'm have some
idea that using Tomcat or even Jetty as the servlet container. However
I don't think it is practical performance-wise (the notebook may has
128MB - 256MB ram) and even It will be a nightmare to support when you
deploy a server application to the customer machine.

I want to know any company has the same problem and how they solve it?
Or is writing a VB app and keeping 2 branches of my application is a
better approach?

hiwa

Our company has a web-based application and the boss wants to make it
runnable in a notebook without any network connection. I'm have some
idea that using Tomcat or even Jetty as the servlet container. However
I don't think it is practical performance-wise (the notebook may has
128MB - 256MB ram) and even It will be a nightmare to support when you
deploy a server application to the customer machine.

I want to know any company has the same problem and how they solve it?
Or is writing a VB app and keeping 2 branches of my application is a
better approach?

Youe idea would be utterly impractical. Think of it!
Find a barebone, fast and small-foot-print servlet/JSP engine
and put http://localhost:8080/yourwebapp/ in your boss's
bookmark. I personally recommend Resin 2.1.x from www.caucho.com.
It's not free for corporate use, though.