    Luigi Donatello Asero
    www.om-italien.eu
    她是澳大利亚人

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <HmFQg.17387$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > I am wondering how I could position some links as a circle.
    > I thought that I could define the position of each <li> by defining its
    > margins
    > and letting float some of these links on the left or on the right but it
    > did not seem to work...

    Luigi, remember what I told you? About your site being best with
    all your CSS completely off? You are going in completely the
    opposite direction. Using your freedom wilfully. You are going to
    now have even more complex CSS.- when someone obliges you as they
    might on this interesting question.

    What is it with you and CSS, you seem quite infatuated with it.
    It is a styling method, not an object of irrational love and
    fixation.

    If you want a circle, you can make a very economically sized
    image map with links. If you want it to scale, it may be possible
    with em based dimensioning, this sounds like fun, no?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 22, 2006

  3. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <HmFQg.17387$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am wondering how I could position some links as a circle.
    > > I thought that I could define the position of each <li> by defining its
    > > margins
    > > and letting float some of these links on the left or on the right but

    it
    > > did not seem to work...

    > Luigi, remember what I told you? About your site being best with
    > all your CSS completely off? You are going in completely the
    > opposite direction. Using your freedom wilfully. You are going to
    > now have even more complex CSS.- when someone obliges you as they
    > might on this interesting question.
    >
    > What is it with you and CSS, you seem quite infatuated with it.
    > It is a styling method, not an object of irrational love and
    > fixation.
    >
    > If you want a circle, you can make a very economically sized
    > image map with links. If you want it to scale, it may be possible
    > with em based dimensioning, this sounds like fun, no?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    An image is usually larger in terms of kilobytes and a table should not be
    used for layout purposes...
    Anyway, I find quite surprising that you do not like CSS, because I thought
    that you used to do it.
    I also noticed that you started liking the page
    when it was not ranked well on Google any longer...
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    www.om-italien.eu

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Anyway, I find quite surprising that you do not like CSS, because I
    > thought that you used to do it.

    She didn't say she doesn't like CSS. She said *your use* of it is .. um
    ... how can I say .. politely .. um .. CONVOLUTED!

    Convoluted. Yeah, that's the ticket.

    She said your page looks better with CSS turned off, and I agree.

    > I also noticed that you started liking the page

    liking the page? Heh.

    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
    > when it was not ranked well on Google any longer...

    I understand why Google has given up.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > I am wondering how I could position some links as a circle.
    > I thought that I could define the position of each <li> by defining its
    > margins
    > and letting float some of these links on the left or on the right but it
    > did not seem to work...

    <sigh.....> [in the tone and manner of Lieutenant Kiff Croaker]

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 22, 2006
  6. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > I also noticed that you started liking the page

    > liking the page? Heh.

    Does she it not?
    Fine.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    www.om-italien.eu

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 22, 2006
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <APFQg.17388$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > An image is usually larger in terms of kilobytes and a table should not be
    > used for layout purposes...
    > Anyway, I find quite surprising that you do not like CSS, because I thought
    > that you used to do it.
    > I also noticed that you started liking the page

    First, if something is a bit larger in bandwidth, it may be worth
    it. Second, I am not sure that tables has to do with this issue.
    And third, you make a leap like the mightiest of frogs to
    conclude I do not like CSS. This is not true. And fourth, I do
    not think tables should never be used for layout at all in any
    circumstances.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 22, 2006
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <yjGQg.17390$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > > I also noticed that you started liking the page

    > > liking the page? Heh.

    > Does she it not?
    > Fine.

    Ah Luigi, I know when you are getting a bit huffy, you start to
    talk about freedom and nice days and throw the word "fine" about.
    But there is no need. Do not concentrate on the negatives like
    that some increasingly feminised (it seems) Martian thinks your
    page improves with your CSS turned off. Think of it instead as a
    compliment to your HTML. Well... er... you could think that...
    why not? Cheer yourself up.

    Seriously, about the links in a circle, it is not that hard to do
    it with an image map. I used to do this a bit to make something
    nice for little cost. You can make such tiny KB-wise pics if the
    content is mainly nothing, an invisible, sort of almost data free
    scaffolding for some pictures of text. I tend to be a bit more
    austere these days but I might come back to it. There is not that
    much wrong with the occasional use of such things and you will
    know to provide alternative plain text HTML nav to the same
    somewhere.

    For example, I had a banner once with image map and links. But
    the links were duplicated in a more normal nav ul underneath,
    plain to see. Left it in for ages and then tired of it, leaving
    only the pic on which it was based, removing the text pics and
    associated controls. But I can't post it because it was tables
    based and had fancy js for rollover on the text/pic bits and
    Jonathan would start screaming and why create a fuss? But the JS
    was not strictly necessary, the hand cursor mostly comes up
    natural anyway. In this case too, the table can be dispensed with.

    Try it Luigi, take a break from all this CSS. You might find you
    feel more comfortable with a different path to doing things.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 22, 2006
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    richard Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <APFQg.17388$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >

    >> An image is usually larger in terms of kilobytes and a table should not
    >> be
    >> used for layout purposes...
    >> Anyway, I find quite surprising that you do not like CSS, because I
    >> thought
    >> that you used to do it.
    >> I also noticed that you started liking the page

    > First, if something is a bit larger in bandwidth, it may be worth
    > it. Second, I am not sure that tables has to do with this issue.
    > And third, you make a leap like the mightiest of frogs to
    > conclude I do not like CSS. This is not true. And fourth, I do
    > not think tables should never be used for layout at all in any
    > circumstances.

    Here we go with the age old discussion that tables are for tabular data.
    Well dear boy, those of us who were around long before CSS, had nothing else
    to work with.
    While I do agree to an extent that tables are a poor excuse for content, if
    that is how one wishes to work, then that is one's opinion and choice.
    Now the new question is, should flash replace CSS?
    Of course, given enough time, another new development will soon come along
    and CSS will be obsolete.
    Until then, it is a matter of preference.

    richard, Sep 22, 2006
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "richard" <> wrote:

    > > First, if something is a bit larger in bandwidth, it may be worth
    > > it. Second, I am not sure that tables has to do with this issue.
    > > And third, you make a leap like the mightiest of frogs to
    > > conclude I do not like CSS. This is not true. And fourth, I do
    > > not think tables should never be used for layout at all in any
    > > circumstances.

    > Here we go with the age old discussion that tables are for tabular data.
    > Well dear boy, those of us who were around long before CSS, had nothing else
    > to work with.

    Had not meant to raise any debate on this. Not initiated a table
    for any layout purpose for quite a while... On the other hand, I
    have not rushed to change long established sites that use some
    either. I do when I have time. And it is even longer in time that
    I used tables for laying out in anything but the most rudimentary
    way, left nav col and right content, maybe a third "features"
    col. Big skeleton stuff.

    > While I do agree to an extent that tables are a poor excuse for content, if
    > that is how one wishes to work, then that is one's opinion and choice.

    Who would make a table the content of their site? Perhaps a
    teacher of html tables technology? No, it's ok, no need to
    explain - I am typing to distract myself from work.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 22, 2006
  11. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <APFQg.17388$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >

    > > An image is usually larger in terms of kilobytes and a table should not

    be
    > > used for layout purposes...
    > > Anyway, I find quite surprising that you do not like CSS, because I

    thought
    > > that you used to do it.
    > > I also noticed that you started liking the page

    > First, if something is a bit larger in bandwidth, it may be worth
    > it.

    Perhaps. But it depends on what you want to do!
    I was wondering how I could display a list of links in a way that they are
    positioned in a circle.
    I hope that I could explain that better now.

    >Second, I am not sure that tables has to do with this issue.

    I could diplay a table with borders set to 0 where the links appear in
    different positions so that they
    are positioned in a circle (3 positions on the top, 3 in the middle and 3 at
    the bottom in a table with
    3 rows and 3 columns and 100% width)

    > And third, you make a leap like the mightiest of frogs to
    > conclude I do not like CSS. This is not true.

    Fine. Then you do not like mine.
    But in the past you might have suggested that I would improve it and perhaps
    said how and nowadays instead you suggest that I would use something else

    And fourth, I do
    > not think tables should never be used for layout at all in any
    > circumstances.

    Fine. Have you always thought the same way?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    www.om-italien.eu

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 22, 2006
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    patrick j Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:59:45 +0100, dorayme wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > If you want a circle, you can make a very economically sized
    > image map with links. If you want it to scale, it may be possible
    > with em based dimensioning, this sounds like fun, no?

    That's the way to do it :)

    The image map is quite fun too imho.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    patrick j, Sep 22, 2006
  13. richard wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <APFQg.17388$>,
    >> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> An image is usually larger in terms of kilobytes and a table should
    >>> not be
    >>> used for layout purposes...
    >>> Anyway, I find quite surprising that you do not like CSS, because I
    >>> thought
    >>> that you used to do it.
    >>> I also noticed that you started liking the page

    >> First, if something is a bit larger in bandwidth, it may be worth
    >> it. Second, I am not sure that tables has to do with this issue.
    >> And third, you make a leap like the mightiest of frogs to
    >> conclude I do not like CSS. This is not true. And fourth, I do
    >> not think tables should never be used for layout at all in any
    >> circumstances.

    > Here we go with the age old discussion that tables are for tabular data.
    > Well dear boy, those of us who were around long before CSS, had nothing
    > else to work with.
    > While I do agree to an extent that tables are a poor excuse for content,
    > if that is how one wishes to work, then that is one's opinion and choice.
    > Now the new question is, should flash replace CSS?
    > Of course, given enough time, another new development will soon come
    > along and CSS will be obsolete.
    > Until then, it is a matter of preference.

    Been there, but for many reason CSS is a much better way. It is like
    computer and graphics, sure your can break out the waxer, rubylithe,
    mylar, ink and photostats... No one is putting a gun to your head. But
    for me, I don't miss it and I have never looked back...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 22, 2006