Positive and Negative integer counter

StaR.BoY2005

Hello everyone,

I am working on a program that needs to read an unspecified number of
integers and determine how many positive and negative values there are.
Also, the program needs to end when the input is 0 (zero). Here is the
code I have which is causing me problems!!! I would greatly appreciate
all of the help!

import java.util.Scanner;
public class Counter
{

public static void main(String[] args)
{
int inputNumber;
int count;
int number;

Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);
count = 0;
number = 0;

System.out.print("Enter your first integer: ");
inputNumber = keyboard.nextInt();

while (inputNumber >0);
{
count++;
System.out.print("Enter your next integer, or 0 to end: ");
inputNumber = keyboard.nextInt();
}

while (inputNumber <0);
{
number++;
System.out.print("Enter your integer, or 0 to end:");
inputNumber = keyboard.nextInt();
}

if (count == 0)
{
System.out.print("You didn't enter any data!");
}
else
{
keyboard.nextInt();
System.out.print("You entered " + count + " positive
integers.");
System.out.print("You entered " + number + " negative
integers.");

Thanks again.

--John

PofN

Hello everyone,

I am working on a program that needs to read an unspecified number of
integers and determine how many positive and negative values there are.
Also, the program needs to end when the input is 0 (zero). Here is the
code I have which is causing me problems!!! I would greatly appreciate
all of the help!

Take your homework, shove it and piss off.

Manish Pandit

You need to :

1. Put all this in 1 while loop that prompts the user for input
2. Put a break condition in your while loops
3. Bulletproof your code so that if non-numeric data is entered, the
code handles it gracefully.

-cheers,
Manish

Patricia Shanahan

Hello everyone,

I am working on a program that needs to read an unspecified number of
integers and determine how many positive and negative values there are.
Also, the program needs to end when the input is 0 (zero). Here is the
code I have which is causing me problems!!! I would greatly appreciate
all of the help!

For this type of thing, I would try play-the-computer.

Write yourself some test data. Write the name of each variable on a
whiteboard, or a large piece of paper with room to writing in and cross
off multiple values for each variable.

Do what your program tells the computer to do, keeping a note of the
current value of each variable. Are the results what you want? If not,
what would you really do, if you were trying to do this task?

Patricia