Posix semaphores

FiLH

Hello,

I would like to know if posix semaphores are inter processes or just
semaphores for threads inside the same process.

I have not seen it defined in the posix specification I have found, but
I have maybe missed something.

Thanks in advance.

FiLH

Alexei A. Frounze

FiLH said:
I would like to know if posix semaphores are inter processes or just
semaphores for threads inside the same process.

This is beyond the scope ot the C programming language with which this group
deals. Try posix/unix-related group instead.

Alex

FiLH

Alexei A. Frounze said:
This is beyond the scope ot the C programming language with which this group
deals. Try posix/unix-related group instead.

Which one dear ?

FiLH

Keith Thompson

I would like to know if posix semaphores are inter processes or just
semaphores for threads inside the same process.

I have not seen it defined in the posix specification I have found, but
I have maybe missed something.

Try comp.unix.programmer.

FiLH

Alexei A. Frounze said:
Not this one, that's for sure. Try searching through

So, you are juste speaking about forums that you don't even know if they
exist ?

Hum... do you have any valuable information ?

Or you are just one of theese wanabee cop that is trying to get some ego
boost ?

Btw I don't really understand why the C forum is not a place to discuss
about the C normalized libraries.

FiLH

P.S. THere is no posix dedicated group, I checked before posting here.

Keith Thompson

So, you are juste speaking about forums that you don't even know if they
exist ?

Hum... do you have any valuable information ?

Or you are just one of theese wanabee cop that is trying to get some ego
boost ?

Btw I don't really understand why the C forum is not a place to discuss
about the C normalized libraries.

I don't know what you mean by "C normalized libraries", but the C
standard does not support semaphores, threads, or processes. POSIX is
a separate standard.

Not everyone here can be expected to know about all the other
newsgroups where a question might be topical.

When we tell people that certain things are off-topic here, it's not
because we're "wanabee cops". It's because standard C is the area we
know about, and there are other newsgroups for more system-specific
topics where you're more likely to get good answers (and those answers
are more likely to be checked for accuracy by other experts).
P.S. THere is no posix dedicated group, I checked before posting here.

Alexei suggested a "posix/unix-related group". I see at least 56
newsgroups with "unix" in their names. Of them, comp.unix.programmer
is probably the best for your purposes. comp.programming.threads is
another good possibility. You should browse the archives of both
groups, and read their FAQs if you can find them, before posting.

Flash Gordon

FiLH said:
So, you are juste speaking about forums that you don't even know if they
exist ?

He probably know that they exist but he might not know the names of them.
Hum... do you have any valuable information ?

That this is the wrong group is valuable information. He also suggested
unix groups which you obviously had not thought of looking for so that
was also valuable information which you have chosen to ignore.
Or you are just one of theese wanabee cop that is trying to get some ego
boost ?

No, he is trying to keep the group useful by keeping it topical.
Btw I don't really understand why the C forum is not a place to discuss
about the C normalized libraries.

They are not C libraries, they are POSIX libraries.
FiLH

P.S. THere is no posix dedicated group, I checked before posting here.

There are, however, plenty of Unix groups, both generic ones such as
comp.unix.programmer and ones dedicated to specific Unix variants. There
is also comp.programming which would probably have been a better place
to start given that you could not find the correct group.

cogno_byte

Hi group!!
Well i would like to just say that don't just stop replying if the
answer is known by somebody in the group.
As far as i know the POSIX and MUTEX threads are related to the
processes in the unix environment.Separate programs are written to
handle them.
Semaphores are just like FLAGS in the processes.They help to indicate
the switching of processes.
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-4415/6mjum5sg7?a=view
they say it is interprocess

Keith Thompson

cogno_byte said:
Well i would like to just say that don't just stop replying if the
answer is known by somebody in the group.

That's bad advice. This newsgroup is for discussion of standard C,
not for discussion of anything and everything vaguely related to C.

If someone asks a system-specific question, redirecting them to a more
appropriate newsgroup is the best thing we can do.
comp.unix.programmer, for example, is full of Unix experts;
comp.lang.c isn't.
As far as i know the POSIX and MUTEX threads are related to the
processes in the unix environment.Separate programs are written to
handle them.

As far as you know. If you've guessed wrong (we all make mistakes),
nobody here will necessarily be able to correct your errors. In a
newsgroup where it's topical, the local experts will be sure to check
whatever you write.

Apparently you haven't even been following this newsgroup. If you
had, you would know how to post a proper followup using Google Groups.
Search this group for "google context" for more information.

Mark McIntyre

So, you are juste speaking about forums that you don't even know if they
exist ?

Its equally possible that Alexei knows perfectly, but also knows that
giving a man a fish will only feed him for a day.

One could of course reply that apparently you are just too lazy to
search for yourself.
Hum... do you have any valuable information ?

You already got that.
Or you are just one of theese wanabee cop that is trying to get some ego
boost ?

whereas you're presumably one of these wannabee buttheads who is
trying to antagonise an entire group of posters? :)
Btw I don't really understand why the C forum is not a place to discuss
about the C normalized libraries.

Because semaphores are not part of C. Thats the other valuable
information you got.
P.S. THere is no posix dedicated group, I checked before posting here.

comp.unix.programmer is pretty close tho.