posix vs perl regular expressions

Discussion in 'Perl' started by RN, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. RN

    RN Guest

    Hi,

    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but -
    what's the difference between posix and perl regular expressions?

    A good example is "aa|bb". Will this match "aa" or "ab" in perl and
    posix?

    And for those POSIX experts, what do the following do?
    [==] is for non-english languages and such?
    [..] is for strings instead of characters in bracket expressions?
    [::] what does this do?
    any difference between [[]] and []?

    I'm asking because I'm a contributer to wxWindows, and we're trying to
    figure out what to do with the current regular expressions library
    wxWindows is using (it's not unicode complaint, etc.).

    The reason I ask the posix questions is except for those expression
    types mentioned above (the 3/4 bracket types and alternation
    operator), my own regex library meets posix standards.

    Thanks,
    RN

    RN, Sep 10, 2003