Possible error in 'dive into Python' book, help!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ben Edwards, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Ben Edwards

    Ben Edwards Guest

    I have been going through Dive into Python which up to now has been
    excellent. I am now working through Chapter 9, XML Processing. I am 9
    pages in (p182) in the 'Parsing XML section. The following code is
    supposed to return the whole XML document (I have put ti at the end of
    this email):

    from xml.dom import minidom

    xmldoc =
    minidom.parse('/home/ben/diveintopython-5.4/py/kgp/binary.xml')
    grammerNode = xmldoc.firstChild

    print grammerNode.toxml()

    But it only returns:

    <!DOCTYPE grammar
    PUBLIC '-//diveintopython.org//DTD Kant Generator Pro v1.0//EN'
    'kgp.dtd'>

    The next line is then

    grammerNode.childNodes

    And it returns an empty tuples;(

    Kind of stuck here as I don't really want to continue. Has anyone any
    idea what is going on?

    Ben

    binary.xml

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE grammar PUBLIC "-//diveintopython.org//DTD Kant Generator Pro
    v1.0//EN" "kgp.dtd">
    <grammar>
    <ref id="bit">
    </ref>