Possible? Python 2.6.x and PythonWin on 64-bit Windows 7

escalation746

I am having a heck of a time doing the simplest thing: installing
Python and the pywin extensions, including the PythonWin editor I have
always relied on, into my new Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS. I
tried the Python package from python.org and pywin32 from sourceforge.
But the latter would not install, saying that it could not find Python
2.6 in the registry. And apparently it will not let me specify the
location of same, although a dialogue window tantalises me with blank
text boxes I cannot type into.

I then tried the 64-bit version of ActiveState's Python, but this
installed sans the PythonWin editor, apparently. At least I cannot
find it either in the Start menu or in the Python folder.

What am I missing? What have I not been told?

-- robin

Andrej Mitrovic

I am having a heck of a time doing the simplest thing: installing
Python and the pywin extensions, including the PythonWin editor I have
always relied on, into my new Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS. I
tried the Python package from python.org and pywin32 from sourceforge.
But the latter would not install, saying that it could not find Python
2.6 in the registry. And apparently it will not let me specify the
location of same, although a dialogue window tantalises me with blank
text boxes I cannot type into.

I then tried the 64-bit version of ActiveState's Python, but this
installed sans the PythonWin editor, apparently. At least I cannot
find it either in the Start menu or in the Python folder.

What am I missing? What have I not been told?

-- robin

Perhaps you've accidentally downloaded the wrong version of PythonWin?
I think this should be the one:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyw... 214/pywin32-214.win-amd64-py2.6.exe/download

escalation746

Andrej said:
Perhaps you've accidentally downloaded the wrong version of PythonWin?

Erk, yes, my bad.

Thanks for the quick help! Though I still wonder why the ActiveState
build does not include this.

-- robin