    attribute being marked as obsolete), is there some way to programmatically
    render the page a bit more efficiently on the client if the page-to-page nav
    uses the same MasterPage?

    Keith Patrick, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Unfortunately, I would say no. You can certainly set the images to cache,
    but the actual layout bits are implemented as a user control (simple
    explanation: page called, has master page, master page called, master page
    embeds in contents sections). Because of the nature of browsers today, and
    the nature of the master page, I cannot see a means of caching all of the
    master content. If someone has a brilliant way to accomplish this, I am all
    ears.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 21, 2005

  3. Keith Patrick

    Brock Allen Guest

    MasterPages can't be cached in the client because they're merged together
    with the ASPX on the server and rendered as a single page into the browser.

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Yeah, that's what I liked about the MultiView; logically, it was all 1 page,
    so SmartNav worked great (minus the "obsolete" compiler warnings).
    Unfortunately, it wasn't very compatible with SiteMap stuff because it
    counts on the URL for identifying the "currentNode", and you can't customize
    the node resolver *after* a connected TreeView's SelectedNodeChanged event
    is fired. The full page, true MasterPage usage works perfect for everything
    except the flicker, but it's going to have to stay as a necessary limitation
    of the page design (and there are too many issues with the MultiView and
    IFrame-based implementations to make it worth it to abandon the current
    design)

    Keith Patrick, Nov 21, 2005