Possible to consume a web service with VB.NET 1.1 VS 2003?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by John Dohn, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. John Dohn

    John Dohn Guest

    I am at my wits end and turn to you guys in hopes of learning the correct
    procedure.

    For any given web service X, regardless of (and without knowing) what
    technology was used to create it, is it possible to consume it with either a
    win form or an aspx page developed in VB.net 1.1 and VS2003?

    I can create a web service and consume it from localhost, no problem.
    But I can't seem to consume external web services, e.g.
    http://www.webservicex.net/usweather.asmx?wsdl .

    In fact, I would be extremely grateful if anyone point me to even one
    example of working code that consumes a working web service hosted on a
    currently accessible remote server so that I can see an intact example of
    the "whole egg".

    Much obliged, and thanks in advance.

    John Dohn, Mar 30, 2008

  2. John Dohn

    Guest Guest

    "John Dohn" <> wrote in message
    > I am at my wits end and turn to you guys in hopes of learning the correct
    > procedure.
    >
    > For any given web service X, regardless of (and without knowing) what
    > technology was used to create it, is it possible to consume it with either
    > a win form or an aspx page developed in VB.net 1.1 and VS2003?
    >
    > I can create a web service and consume it from localhost, no problem.
    > But I can't seem to consume external web services, e.g.
    > http://www.webservicex.net/usweather.asmx?wsdl .
    >
    > In fact, I would be extremely grateful if anyone point me to even one
    > example of working code that consumes a working web service hosted on a
    > currently accessible remote server so that I can see an intact example of
    > the "whole egg".
    >
    > Much obliged, and thanks in advance.

    John, you don't find any such examples because there is no need for any. It
    should work exactly the same way it does for "localhost".

    Please tell us exactly what exception you're seeing. Post the entire
    exception, including any InnerException. Also, tell us exactly what steps
    you're taking and exactly what the result of each step is.
    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    Guest, Mar 31, 2008

  3. Hi John,

    Sure, webservice is aiming at interop between heterogenious platforms. The
    key point is that the websevice itself should be ready for interop(it
    conform to webservice standards and expose standard and correct WSDL
    document ....).

    For consuming realworld webservice, here is an article mentioned consuming
    amazon webservice on code project:

    #Implementing Amazon Web Services in VB.NET
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/webservices/AmazonWebService.aspx

    also the following msdn sample links some existing publich webservices that
    you can also use for test:

    #Consuming a Web Service Sample
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173022(VS.80).aspx

    If you have any further questions, welcome to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Mar 31, 2008
  4. Hi John,

    Have you got any further idea on this? If you have any further questions,

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Apr 2, 2008