Possible to Insert One HTML Doc Into Another?

Pavlik Morosov

Is it possible to load an HTML document into the main HTML document, much
like inserting a graphic?

Could one have, say, a "header.htm" file that could be coded to load into
any page on my site?

If this is a dumb question, sorry, but it's the only work-around I can
think of for a problem I'm trying to figure out.

Thank you for any help!
http://www.e-mail.ru
ÔÅÄÅÐÀËÜÍÀß ÏÎ×ÒÎÂÀß ÑËÓÆÁÀ E-MAIL.RU
http://www.e-mail.ru

Òîëüêî äî 15 àâãóñòà êîìïàíèÿ "Êëþ÷ ÏëàñòÊîíñòðóêòîð" ïðåäëàãàåò ñêèäêè äî 20% íà ïëàñòèêîâûå îêíà è äâåðè! Çâîíèòå ñåé÷àñ.
Tel/fax: (095) 784-64-84

Safalra

Pavlik said:
Is it possible to load an HTML document into the main HTML document, much
like inserting a graphic?
Could one have, say, a "header.htm" file that could be coded to load into
any page on my site?

If your host supports server-side includes, they'd be the ideal
solution. The only other thing I can think of (other than using
iframes) is using a preprocessor before uploading pages, but then you'd
have to update them all every time the page changes, which rather
defeats the point.

Spartanicus

Pavlik Morosov said:
Is it possible to load an HTML document into the main HTML document, much
like inserting a graphic?

Could one have, say, a "header.htm" file that could be coded to load into
any page on my site?

That suggests that instead of inserting a (complete) HTML document you
want to insert a HTML code fragment instead. Both are possible but
fundamentally different techniques.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Pavlik Morosov said:
Is it possible to load an HTML document into the main HTML document, much
like inserting a graphic?

Could one have, say, a "header.htm" file that could be coded to load into
any page on my site?

See bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml for instructions on SSI (Server Side
Includes).

--Tina

Morosov

[Third try to get a response posted - sorry if duplicates
appear later!]

OK, thanks for the help so far!

So, is this really as simple as it looks with SSI or PHP?

Just one command inserted and changing the extension of the
file to .php or .shtml?

If so...wow...all the time I've wasted! 8-(

I will have a site of many articles, and I want to be able
to deep-link to them without having them orphaned from rest
of the site. I want to have a single, somewhat complex header
(though small in size) that will be at the head of every page
on the site and which will be constantly maintained and updated
independent of the archived articles. Let's call it...

header.htm

So, if I have a PHP capable provider, all I have to do with
each article page is stick the code...

<?php include("header.htm"); ?>

Up in the top of the page someplace and save the page with a
.php extension?

Is that it? And if the site has SSI rather than PHP I can do
something similar, as described in the page for .shtml files?

I hope I'm understanding this right! Seems too easy! :cool:

If this is correct and I have the choice between PHP and SSI,
if there any reason to pick one over the other?

Thanks for any additional clarifications.

===

-=-
This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Safalra

Morosov said:
[snip]
So, if I have a PHP capable provider, all I have to do with
each article page is stick the code...
<?php include("header.htm"); ?>
Up in the top of the page someplace and save the page with a
.php extension?
Is that it? And if the site has SSI rather than PHP I can do
something similar, as described in the page for .shtml files?
I hope I'm understanding this right! Seems too easy! :cool:

<philosophy>It's interesting that people are so sceptical that an easy
to state problem should have an easy to implement
solution. said:
If this is correct and I have the choice between PHP and SSI,
if there any reason to pick one over the other?

I'd go with SSI for anything that doesn't require PHP features. I
believe it is parsed slightly faster because of its simpler syntax (I'm
sure someone will correct my if I'm wrong). Plus more hosts support SSI
(with no security issues) than PHP (with some security issues).

Toby Inkster

Safalra said:
I'd go with SSI for anything that doesn't require PHP features. I
believe it is parsed slightly faster because of its simpler syntax (I'm
sure someone will correct my if I'm wrong). Plus more hosts support SSI
(with no security issues) than PHP (with some security issues).

I agree with you that it's faster and slightly more secure, but I don't
agree that the OP should stick with SSI.

PHP will give him a lot more flexibility in the future -- a lot more
chance to experiment with new things : searches, login accounts, contact
forms, etc.

mod_php's slow down over SSI is only slight, and unless he's using a
complete dinosaur of a web server, it should barely register a difference.

For what he's talking about doing, security issues don't even come into
it. It's only when you start doing things like this that security becomes
an issue:

<?php
$page = $_GET['page'];
$file = 'content/' . $page . '.php';
include($file);
?>

(and in this case there's an easy fix...

<?php
$page = $_GET['page'];
if (preg_match('/\./',$page))
{
print "SECURITY ALERT!";
exit;
}
$file = 'content/' . $page . '.php';
include($file);
?>

..)

AF

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 07:57:26 +0100, Toby Inkster

snip
PHP will give him a lot more flexibility in the future -- a lot more
chance to experiment with new things : searches, login accounts, contact
forms, etc.
snip

How very true. I have tried all kinds of ways to insert content into
html pages, and I have found php to be the best way to do this.

Can I ask the original poster, "Can you give us an example of what you
wanted to do?" If you already have posted this, I must have missed
it, but I would like to see an example of what you are trying to
insert and why?

Good luck!

Oh, by the way, I put off learning php for years. Once I started
learning it, it was very easy. Php is interesting because you can
easily and quickly learn enough to be productive with it, yet php is
complex enough it will take me a while to learn all of its usefulness.

Just don't be put off by the very complex php stuff you see; you can
quickly learn simple techniques that will help you, and then you can
grow from there.

Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com
http://www.americanaffordablelifeinsurance.com

dorayme

From: AF said:
Oh, by the way, I put off learning php for years. Once I started
learning it, it was very easy. Php is interesting because you can
easily and quickly learn enough to be productive with it, yet php is
complex enough it will take me a while to learn all of its usefulness.

Just don't be put off by the very complex php stuff you see; you can
quickly learn simple techniques that will help you, and then you can
grow from there.

Best regards,

Al

You seem nice and maybe won't bite my delicate head off. Would you offer or
remind me of your path to learning this? Online refs are best but maybe a
book?

dorayme

Safalra

dorayme said:
You seem nice

I'm nice too. :)
and maybe won't bite my delicate head off. Would you offer or
remind me of your path to learning this? Online refs are best but maybe a
book?

The online PHP documentation is very good (once you go into one of the
sections the navigation appears in the left in a nice format, rather
than the huge list you get on the first page):

http://www.php.net/manual/en/

AF

snip
You seem nice and maybe won't bite my delicate head off. Would you offer or
remind me of your path to learning this? Online refs are best but maybe a
book?

dorayme
Trial and error wa show I did it.

Here is a general rule I have figured out about php:

If you find yourself doing the same thing, time after time, inside of
a web page, or on many pages, there is probably a way to eliminate
this with php.

So I started learning php as a means to publish more pages with less
effort.

So I would take a simple task that I was doing many times within a
page or doing many times on many pages, and I would find a way to do
it better with php.

The first problem that I attacked with this was keyword lists,
descriptions, and titles. The way to make me more productive and
spend less time typing keywords, descriptions, and titles was to
figure out a way to get php to fill in variables for me.

This involved setting up variables and populating variables and the
echo command. I played around with this for several weeks until I was
able to use variables and the echo command to help eliminate as much
typing as possible. Just a small improvement, but it saved me time.

Then I wondered could I save time in other ways. The biggest
revelation came when I realized many of my web pages could be broken
into several parts:

cosmetics without regard to content
navigation links
content
headers and footers, if I want these to change based on the page
content.

So I posted to the php newsgroup, alt.comp.lang.php, (which by the way
is a great source of information, just like this one), and people
pointed me to the include command in php.

With the include and the echo commands and variable assignment, you
can accomplish quite a bit.

Finally the last thing I learned quickly was url parsing, or how to
strip info from a url. I do it using the "/". Other people do it
using variable assignment in the url.

There are some excellent references to this in the php manual, and it
is easy to learn.

I won't go into all of this here. I found the trial and error method,
using the php manual, online resources, and the newsgroup for php
worked well for me. And I have only scratched the surface of php.

Hope this helps. If you decide to start learning php, post questions
and sample code at the newsgroup,alt.comp.lang.php, and you will
usually get quick responses.

By the way, it helps when using php, which is programmatic generation
of pages, to use css. Css makes it very easy to format pages. The
reason css and php are almost necessary companions is that with css
you eliminate a lot of formatting commands, like setting fonts in your
html, and thus if you are using php as I do, i.e. mainly as a means of
publishing lots of pages with as little typing as possible, css is a
great companion.

From: "Safalra said:
I'm nice too. :)

The online PHP documentation is very good (once you go into one of the
sections the navigation appears in the left in a nice format, rather
than the huge list you get on the first page):

http://www.php.net/manual/en/

OK, you *are* nice so far. This looks good and I will persuse and start
learning... and make nice includes and stop doing my silly find and change
greping and uploading revised files to servers. It encourages me to hear the
stories of how others struggle but triumph.

Why is there suddenly so much traffic on this newsgroup? I am being good and
not posting much? Would everyone please just limit the posts to interesting
matters.

dorayme