Possible to populate Adobe PDF using RoR?

joviyach

I am kicking an idea around in my head right and I would really like
to do this in RoR due to the speed and ease of deployment especially
on the data collection end. Anyway, the application has to be able to
pull data from a SQL database and populate Adobe PDF forms with the
data. Anyone know if such a thing is possible right now with ROR?

Thanks,

Jim

Gregory Brown

I am kicking an idea around in my head right and I would really like
to do this in RoR due to the speed and ease of deployment especially
on the data collection end. Anyway, the application has to be able to
pull data from a SQL database and populate Adobe PDF forms with the
data. Anyone know if such a thing is possible right now with ROR?

What is ROR?

David Masover

I am kicking an idea around in my head right and I would really like
to do this in RoR

...stop.

Go to the Ruby on Rails group:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
Anyway, the application has to be able to
pull data from a SQL database and populate Adobe PDF

Why Adobe? PDF is now an open standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

Now, if you wanted to know how to do it in Ruby, here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/kngh34

Josh Cheek

From your terminal, try
gem query -rn pdf

That should give you a good place to start looking.

If you are using RoR, you can already pull objects from your database (you
should be writing this code in the model). You can also set up a rake task
that loads the RoR environment (check out Ryan Bates' Railscast on it
http://railscasts.com/episodes/66-custom-rake-tasks). To execute your code,
then, you can either run the rake task, if that method works best for you,
or you can interract with your code through the console, or through some MVC
structure you have defined, in a web browser. That might make for a nice
easy gui, if that is your plan, then you might check out the member and
collection routing options, depending on whether you're trying to write a
record or a class of records to the PDF, here is a good resource for that
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html.

joviyach

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

From your terminal, try
[...]

Thanks Josh. I am already running RoR on my test station and I have
been using Heroku as well.

To the others, sorry to have disturbed you with my question.