    data. Anyone know if such a thing is possible right now with ROR?

    Thanks,

    Jim

    joviyach, Aug 24, 2009

  2. On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM, joviyach<> wrote:
    > I am kicking an idea around in my head right and I would really like
    > to do this in RoR due to the speed and ease of deployment especially
    > on the data collection end. Anyway, the application has to be able to
    > pull data from a SQL database and populate Adobe PDF forms with the
    > data. Anyone know if such a thing is possible right now with ROR?

    What is ROR?

    Gregory Brown, Aug 25, 2009

  3. On Monday 24 August 2009 05:55:05 pm joviyach wrote:
    > I am kicking an idea around in my head right and I would really like
    > to do this in RoR

    ...stop.

    Go to the Ruby on Rails group:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk

    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

    > Anyway, the application has to be able to
    > pull data from a SQL database and populate Adobe PDF

    Why Adobe? PDF is now an open standard:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

    Now, if you wanted to know how to do it in Ruby, here you go:

    http://tinyurl.com/kngh34

    David Masover, Aug 25, 2009
  4. joviyach

    Josh Cheek Guest

    From your terminal, try
    gem query -rn pdf

    That should give you a good place to start looking.

    If you are using RoR, you can already pull objects from your database (you
    should be writing this code in the model). You can also set up a rake task
    that loads the RoR environment (check out Ryan Bates' Railscast on it
    http://railscasts.com/episodes/66-custom-rake-tasks). To execute your code,
    then, you can either run the rake task, if that method works best for you,
    or you can interract with your code through the console, or through some MVC
    structure you have defined, in a web browser. That might make for a nice
    easy gui, if that is your plan, then you might check out the member and
    collection routing options, depending on whether you're trying to write a
    record or a class of records to the PDF, here is a good resource for that
    http://guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html.

    Josh Cheek, Aug 25, 2009
  5. joviyach

    joviyach Guest

    On Aug 24, 8:33 pm, Josh Cheek <> wrote:
    > [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
    >
    > From your terminal, try
    > gem query -rn pdf
    >
    > That should give you a good place to start looking.
    >
    > If you are using RoR, you can already pull objects from your database (you
    > should be writing this code in the model). You can also set up a rake task
    > that loads the RoR environment (check out Ryan Bates' Railscast on ithttp://railscasts.com/episodes/66-custom-rake-tasks). To execute your code,
    > then, you can either run the rake task, if that method works best for you,
    > or you can interract with your code through the console, or through some MVC
    > structure you have defined, in a web browser. That might make for a nice
    > easy gui, if that is your plan, then you might check out the member and
    > collection routing options, depending on whether you're trying to write a
    > record or a class of records to the PDF, here is a good resource for thathttp://guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html.
    >
    > On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM, joviyach <> wrote:
    > > I am kicking an idea around in my head right and I would really like
    > > to do this in RoR due to the speed and ease of deployment especially
    > > on the data collection end. Anyway, the application has to be able to
    > > pull data from a SQL database and populate Adobe PDF forms with the
    > > data. Anyone know if such a thing is possible right now with ROR?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Jim

    Thanks Josh. I am already running RoR on my test station and I have
    been using Heroku as well.

    To the others, sorry to have disturbed you with my question.

    joviyach, Aug 25, 2009