Possible to use Codewarrior 7 to program under WinXT?

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

David said:
Ok, thanks. Somehow I had it in my mind that they had both free and
non-free versions.

A long time ago SUN sold a modified NetBeans as Forte for Java.

Arne

BillJosephson

David said:
BillJosephson wrote:
Hi, I want to write a program in Java or C++

IR wrote:
I forgot to mention Eclipse for Java development (which is free also).

Incidentally, you could also use it's [sic] CDT plugin for C++ development.

There are many IDEs (integrated development environments) available for Java
development, and few not-so-I DEs like emacs, many of which are free. Java
itself is free ("as in beer").

GIYF.

- Lew

Yeah, I looked at this a while back. I like the sound of jEdit but
never could figure out how to get it configured like an IDE, with
debugger window and a way to watch variables, etc. There just doesn't
seem to be much approachable documentation.

Would you recommend an IDE that sort of looke like Visual IDEs or
Codewarrior? With an editor window, a debugger with conditional
breakpoints, a way to watch varibles, an output window....all at the
same time?

Eclipse. If you only need java support, you could also look at the free
version of NetBeans.

Thanks. I tried netbeans but it looked like it was going to take some
work to get a handle on. For one, I didn't see how to set it up with
variable watch window, code window....I imagine it can do it and I
should take the time to check into it, since after all it does come
free with java.

Is Eclipse free?

David Kerber

Hi, I want to write a program in Java or C++, and just discovered on my
bookshelve Codewarrior 7. It says Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME. Can I
develop a command line application that will work on my XT machine? A
grahpical interface?

Win2K and WinXP are quite similar in what they will run, so I would
think you're probably ok.

David Kerber

Thanks. I tried netbeans but it looked like it was going to take some
work to get a handle on. For one, I didn't see how to set it up with
variable watch window, code window....I imagine it can do it and I
should take the time to check into it, since after all it does come
free with java.

Yes, it has all those functions; you just have to learn how to activate
them.
Is Eclipse free?

Yes, from www.eclipse.org. I found it a bit less intuitive than
netbeans, with a somewhat (though not dramatically) steeper learning
curve, but it is also more versatile, since it can work with other
languages than just java.

Greymaus

David said:
Yes, from www.eclipse.org. I found it a bit less intuitive than
netbeans, with a somewhat (though not dramatically) steeper learning
curve, but it is also more versatile, since it can work with other
languages than just java.

Starting with version 5.5, Netbeans has a C++ plugin, available free
from the Netbeans website.

Lew

Greymaus said:
Starting with version 5.5, Netbeans has a C++ plugin, available free
from the Netbeans website.

For gcc C/ C++, I have found nothing I like better than emacs, make and gdb.

emacs has wonderful integration for these tools.

For Java I prefer Netbeans. I also use Eclipse and WebSphere Application
Developer, also emacs + Ant. I have used a handful of others.

- Lew

BillJosephson

Lew said:
For gcc C/ C++, I have found nothing I like better than emacs, make and gdb.

emacs has wonderful integration for these tools.

For Java I prefer Netbeans. I also use Eclipse and WebSphere Application
Developer, also emacs + Ant. I have used a handful of others.

- Lew

Lew, do you do much graphical interfacd development? I've used emacs,
and I wonder if it has tools like graphical interface development tools
these days. Also, how does it do in integrating with APIs (I mean
toolboxes that work with a parcitular OS)?

Thanks.

Lew

Lew, do you do much graphical interfacd development? I've used emacs,
and I wonder if it has tools like graphical interface development tools
these days. Also, how does it do in integrating with APIs (I mean
toolboxes that work with a parcitular OS)?

I am not using emacs for heavy development these days because Netbeans is
stronger for Java. When I used emacs for C++ I did not miss GUI wizards, I
just programmed from the source text and did many compile/run cycles to test
the output. I would also write a GUI-only facade and test it, then inherit
that to fill in the logic (sort of a "poor-man's MVC" before I was familiar
with the MVC pattern).

To step back, your question has me re-evaluate my position. I still use emacs
for small, quick steps, but I think by now I am addicted to IDEs for major
sessions of work.

- Lew

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Lew said:
(e-mail address removed) says...

Which was not called NetBeans.

It is still a version of NetBeans even though it
does not have NetBeans in the name.

WSAD is also a version of Eclipse.

WAS CE is a version of Geronimo.

IBM HTTPD is a version of Apache HTTPD.

Etc.

Arne

BillJosephson

Lew said:
I am not using emacs for heavy development these days because Netbeans is
stronger for Java. When I used emacs for C++ I did not miss GUI wizards, I
just programmed from the source text and did many compile/run cycles to test
the output. I would also write a GUI-only facade and test it, then inherit
that to fill in the logic (sort of a "poor-man's MVC" before I was familiar
with the MVC pattern).

To step back, your question has me re-evaluate my position. I still use emacs
for small, quick steps, but I think by now I am addicted to IDEs for major
sessions of work.

- Lew

Yeah, Codewarrior on the Mac did that for me. I am spoiled. There was a
pretty nice IDE under KDE on Linux, not sure what's up with that now.
Since you seem a nice chap....can you suggest the quickest thing to
read to get on top of net beans enough to configure it like a good IDE?
When I took a java class I downloaded it along with the runtime engine
from Sun, so I figure it must be OK, but it seemed like it was going to
take some time (read: too much RTFM) to get going so I did the class
with jGRASP. Not a very good environment though. So if you have any
suggestions that would be great. Maybe the supplied docs are the way to
go though. Just was hoping for something like the third party books
that got me up and running with Codewarrior so much faster than the
voluminous Metrowerks docs.

Thanks...

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
(e-mail address removed) says...

ITYM "Attempted to sell".
Which was not called NetBeans.

At times it was and at times not. The basic Forte for Java was free and was
clearly a packaged and branded version of Netbeans. Sun attempted to sell
"advanced" Netbeans modules for building web applications and EJBs.