Possible to use parent and child datagrids?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kathy Burke, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Kathy Burke

    Kathy Burke Guest

    Hi again. I finally figured out WHAT I need, but not much of a clue how
    to do it. I'm new to datagrids and I'm using a document-like xml
    structure versus a database-like structure. I think I need to create two
    edit grids. One where the user would see the selected parent element
    (Station or Doc), and allow him to edit/delete/add at that level, but
    also to see/edit/delete/add on a child element level (Doc or SN).

    For example,

    <Station name="Station1">
    <Doc name="doc1">
    <SN name="12345"/>
    <SN name="12346"/>
    </Doc>
    <Doc name="doc2">
    <SN name="12345"/>
    <SN name="12346"/>
    </Doc>
    </Station>
    <Station name="Station2">
    <Doc name="doc1">
    <SN name="12345"/>
    <SN name="12346"/>
    </Doc>
    <Doc name="doc2">
    <SN name="12345"/>
    <SN name="12346"/>
    </Doc>
    </Station>

    Could anyone suggest something? I thought I was on the right track with
    Paul Chu's XML Books example, but that really deals with
    database-structure data in an xml file. I continue to struggle with the
    alternative -- unknown levels of child elements, etc!

    Is datagrid NOT the way to go? But what else in its place?

    Thanks again and again.

    Kathy

    Kathy Burke, Aug 26, 2003