Possible to use parent and child datagrids?

Kathy Burke

Hi again. I finally figured out WHAT I need, but not much of a clue how
to do it. I'm new to datagrids and I'm using a document-like xml
structure versus a database-like structure. I think I need to create two
edit grids. One where the user would see the selected parent element
(Station or Doc), and allow him to edit/delete/add at that level, but
also to see/edit/delete/add on a child element level (Doc or SN).

For example,

<Station name="Station1">
<Doc name="doc1">
<SN name="12345"/>
<SN name="12346"/>
</Doc>
<Doc name="doc2">
<SN name="12345"/>
<SN name="12346"/>
</Doc>
</Station>
<Station name="Station2">
<Doc name="doc1">
<SN name="12345"/>
<SN name="12346"/>
</Doc>
<Doc name="doc2">
<SN name="12345"/>
<SN name="12346"/>
</Doc>
</Station>

Could anyone suggest something? I thought I was on the right track with
Paul Chu's XML Books example, but that really deals with
database-structure data in an xml file. I continue to struggle with the
alternative -- unknown levels of child elements, etc!

Is datagrid NOT the way to go? But what else in its place?

Thanks again and again.

Kathy