possible viewport question, need to control what portion of div contents appear when overflow:auto a

Jake Barnes

I searched comp.lang.javascript on Google Groups but I didn't find an
answer when I searched for "viewport" or "viewport div" or any
combination of words using "viewport" so now I think I'm searching for
the completely wrong thing. Perhaps someone can tell me what I should
be searching for?

I've got a div with overflow set to "auto":

overflow:auto

I'm using it for an Ajax chat application I'm trying to build. The div
fills up with messages, then overflows. The new messages, which I want
the user to see, appear at the bottom of the div. I don't know how to
force the div to scroll down, so the user will always see what is at
the bottom of that div.

If you want, you can try to see what I'm talking about, though
everything is still in a rough form. Try to go to this page:

http://www.bluewalldev.com/secondroad/groups.php?groupId=6

Login with this info:

user: person
password: test

I wish I could tell you where the login screen will be, the but the
graphic designer is working on the site right now and everything
changes every hour.

Logging in will take you to another page, you'll have to hit the back
button to get to the "chat" room.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer.