possible viewport question, need to control what portion of div contents appear when overflow:auto a

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jake Barnes, Sep 5, 2007.

  1. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    I searched comp.lang.javascript on Google Groups but I didn't find an
    answer when I searched for "viewport" or "viewport div" or any
    combination of words using "viewport" so now I think I'm searching for
    the completely wrong thing. Perhaps someone can tell me what I should
    be searching for?

    I've got a div with overflow set to "auto":

    overflow:auto

    I'm using it for an Ajax chat application I'm trying to build. The div
    fills up with messages, then overflows. The new messages, which I want
    the user to see, appear at the bottom of the div. I don't know how to
    force the div to scroll down, so the user will always see what is at
    the bottom of that div.

    If you want, you can try to see what I'm talking about, though
    everything is still in a rough form. Try to go to this page:

    http://www.bluewalldev.com/secondroad/groups.php?groupId=6

    Login with this info:

    user: person
    password: test

    I wish I could tell you where the login screen will be, the but the
    graphic designer is working on the site right now and everything
    changes every hour.

    Logging in will take you to another page, you'll have to hit the back
    button to get to the "chat" room.

    Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer.
    Jake Barnes, Sep 5, 2007

  2. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    Sorry, cancel this post. I just posted it and then, finally, after a
    lot of searching, I found a post that answered all my questions:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...7c8b965f4bf?lnk=gst&q=overflow scroll&rnum=1#

    Jake Barnes, Sep 6, 2007