Possible with schema?

Lord0

Is it possible to validate/check for the following using a schema?

<question answer="yes">
<answer>This is the answer</answer>
</question>

OR

<question answer="no" />

Where "question" can change.....i.e.

The schema fragment which *would* validate this:

<question1 answer="yes">
<answer>This is the answer</answer>
</question1>

OR

<question1 answer="no" />

Would also be able to validate this:

<question2 answer="yes">
<answer>This is the answer</answer>
</question2>

OR

<question2 answer="no" />

WITHOUT hardcoding "question1", "question2" etc in the schema

Maybe Im going Friday afternoon mad!

Cheers

Lord0

Lord0

Redesign as <question number="2" ....>.

Hmm, I got as far as.......

<choice>
<element name="question" type="this:noAttributeType" />
<element name="question"
type="this:yesAttributeWithDescriptionType" />
</choice>

<complexType name="noAttributeType">
</complexType>

<complexType name="yesAttributeWithDescriptionType">
<sequence>
<element name="description" type="string" />
</sequence>
</complexType>

but of course I get "Unique Particle Attribution" violation.

usenet

Hmm, I got as far as.......

<choice>
<element name="question" type="this:noAttributeType" />
<element name="question"
type="this:yesAttributeWithDescriptionType" />
</choice>

I think what you're trying to do requires a co-constraint, and is not
currently possible with XML schema. I believe Relax-NG can do this.

You could aim for something like:

<question number="2"><yes answer="This is the answer"></...

or some variation on that theme.

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd