Post back and control focus issuea

Sal

To all ASP.Net gurus,
I am having a hard time controlling the focus on web server controls in my
..aspx pages.
I basically have three data entry web forms, consisting of comboboxes, radio
button lists and text boxes.

a couple of comboboxes and radio button lists have their autopostback set to
true to trigger events, and based on selected indexes changing it enables or
disables other controls, performs validations and sets focus to other text
boxes. I have created a focus control which has a property called control to
focus. The focus control works fine when the smart navigation of the page is
set to true and sets focus to correct web controls after a post back.
But by setting smart navigation to true, if I run the website from outside
VS.NET my pages won't show.

I will appreciate any help, since not being able to control the focus is a
deal killer for our client.

With regards,
Sal Sarhangi

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

I'm surprised that the pages fail when not run in VS.NET. This is not normal
behaviour. Is ASP.NET properly configured on the server?

Anyway, maybe the solution in your case is to move the JavaScript libraries
(that implement smart navigation) into your project. They are usually found in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\1_1_4322 .

You'll have to find a way to repoint the pages to them. I think this is done in
the machine.config file.

Ken