Post Back and Javascript

voidinutah

Hello,

I'm new to .NET and was trying to find a solution for having a button
control do a post back then execute a javascript function.

When the button is clicked a post back occurs to save the user data,
after that a javascript function is called to load a new video. If it
wasn't for the video, then I would have used panel controls to hide/
show the content. We are using swfobject to load a series of videos on
the same page, and breaking it out into separate pages is not an
option unfortunately.

Thanks for any help.
Marc

voidinutah

<head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
        function myFunction()
        {
            // code goes here
        }
    </script>
</head>
    <form ID="MyForm" runat="server">
        <asp:Button ID="MyButton" runat="server" Text="Click"
OnClick="MyButton_Click" />
    </form>

protected void MyButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    if (IsPostBack)
    {
        // postback code goes here

        ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "postBack",
"myFunction();", true);

Thanks for your help Mark! With the code you provided, I was able to
test a few things. The issue I was having was that the button was in
an update panel. Since it was in an update panel, the code wasn't
working. Once I removed the update panel it worked fine. But the issue
I have now is that the video starts playing again since the entire
page is posting back.

With the multiple videos page, I can add a hidden field to handle
which video to play.

But on the page I've been working on, there is only one video. After
the video plays the continue button is enabled. The user clicks the
button, the data needs to be saved, then a modal window opens with
some text. The video in the background needs to stay at the end
position. But with removing the update panel, and the entire page
posting back, the video is starting again. Any ideas for this
scenario?

Thanks again!
Marc

voidinutah

Not without seeing your code...

Here is the aspx page. There's a master page that I did not include,
so if you need a stripped down version of the aspx, let me know.

BEGIN of aspx
<%@ page language="VB" masterpagefile="~/dir_user_interface/
dir_master_page/DashboardMaster.master"
autoeventwireup="false" codefile="default.aspx.vb"
inherits="mod_10_20_10_070_default" %>

<asp:Content ID="conHead" ContentPlaceHolderID="cphDashboardHead"
Runat="Server">

<script src="../../dir_script/swfobject.js" type="text/
javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">

function video_complete() {
if ($get('<%= btnContinueButton_1.ClientID %>').className
== "Visible") {
btn_Continue = $get('<%= btnContinueButton_1.ClientID
%>');
btn_Continue.disabled = false;

function endOfStepModal() {
var theBehavior = $find("EndOfStepOpenBehavior");
var theAnimation = theBehavior.get_OnClickBehavior();
theAnimation.play();
}

</script>

</asp:Content>
<asp:Content ID="conModal" ContentPlaceHolderID="cphDashboardModal"
Runat="Server">
<asp:panel id="pnlEndOfStepController" runat="server"
cssclass="Hidden">
</asp:panel>
<asp:panel id="pnlEndOfStepModal" runat="server" cssclass="Modal
EndOfStepModal Hidden">
Congratulations, you have completed Step 1.
Your progress has been saved to your Journal. You can
review your journal at any time by
selecting the "My Journal" link under the RESOURCES
section of your profile.
<h3>Would you like to stop for now, or continue to
Step 2?</h3>
<%--<asp:button id="btn_logout" runat="server"
text="Logout" />--%>
<asp:button id="btnContinueButton_2" runat="server"
text="Continue" />
</asp:panel>
<%--path conflict open animation--%>
<cc1:animationextender id="aeEndOfStepOpen" runat="server"
targetcontrolid="pnlEndOfStepController"
behaviorid="EndOfStepOpenBehavior">
<animations>
<OnClick>
<Sequence>
<StyleAction AnimationTarget="pnlBlockAll"
Attribute="display" Value="block"/>
<StyleAction AnimationTarget="pnlEndOfStepModal"
Attribute="display" Value="block"/>
<Parallel AnimationTarget="pnlEndOfStepModal"
Duration=".2" Fps="25">
<Resize Width="532" Height="400" />
<Move Horizontal="114" Vertical="117" />
</Parallel>
</Sequence>
</OnClick>
</animations>
</cc1:animationextender>
<%--END path conflict open animation--%>
<%--path conflict close animation--%>
<cc1:animationextender id="aePathConflictClose" runat="server"
targetcontrolid="btnContinueButton_2">
<animations>
<OnClick>
<Sequence>
<Parallel AnimationTarget="pnlEndOfStepModal"
Duration=".2" Fps="25">
<Resize Width="1" Height="1" />
<Move Horizontal="-114" Vertical="-117" />
</Parallel>
<StyleAction AnimationTarget="pnlBlockAll"
Attribute="display" Value="none"/>
<StyleAction AnimationTarget="pnlEndOfStepModal"
Attribute="display" Value="none"/>
</Sequence>
</OnClick>
</animations>
</cc1:animationextender>
<%--END path conflict close animation--%>
</asp:Content>
<asp:Content ID="conContent"
ContentPlaceHolderID="cphDashboardContent" Runat="Server">
<asp:updatepanel id="udp_pageContent" runat="server">
<contenttemplate>

Please download the flash player.
<script type="text/javascript">
var so = new SWFObject("../../dir_flash/demo1b/
demo1b.swf", "Intro", "640", "480", "8", "#ffffff");
so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
so.write("FlashContent");
</script>

</contenttemplate>
</asp:updatepanel>
</asp:Content>
<asp:content id="ConButton" contentplaceholderid="cphDashboardButton"
runat="Server">
<asp:updatepanel id="upd_continue_buttons" runat="server">
<contenttemplate>

<asp:button id="btnContinueButton_1" runat="server"
text="Continue" Enabled="false" CssClass="Visible" />

</contenttemplate>
</asp:updatepanel>
</asp:content>
END of aspx

BEGIN of vb code behind
Partial Class mod_10_20_10_070_default
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

If IsPostBack = False Then

End If

End Sub

Protected Sub btnContinueButton_1_Click(ByVal sender As Object,
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnContinueButton_1.Click

'might require saving user data

'open modal
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType(), "postBack",
"endOfStepModal();", True)

End Sub

Protected Sub btnContinueButton_2_Click(ByVal sender As Object,
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnContinueButton_2.Click

Response.Redirect("~/page2/")

End Sub

End Class
END of vb code behind

Any suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc