Post file to ASP.NET causes HTTP 500: Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by stefan, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. stefan

    stefan Guest

    Hi all

    New to ASP.NET and liking it so far, but now I'm getting desperate.

    I've developed a very simple website with two pages. The first one
    lets you select a file on your (client) PC. Clicking the submit button
    then sends this file to the second page where it is inserted into a
    database. This second page is to be used by a supplier who will send
    XML data to the second page from their database.

    Now the following happens:
    1) When the supplier uses the interactive version, everything works
    fine.
    2) When the supplier submits their data straight to the second page
    using a POST, they get "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error".
    3) When I test the second page from another machine on our network
    using the cURL command line tool, it works fine.

    I have tried all the following:
    1) made sure that no firewall is interfering. Eventually resorted to
    "let everything through" and still errors
    2) reinstalled IIS 5.0 on the Windows 2000 Professional server
    3) updated the .NET framework to the most recent patch
    4) verified all the permissions of ASPNET and IUSR_... users; all seems
    OK
    5) Went through all the knowledge base articles to no avail

    Other symptoms:
    1) The event log shows no problems relating to this
    2) When I replace the second page with an empty ASP.NET page, our
    supplier is still getting error 500
    3) When I remove the page, the web server logs a 404 upon the
    supplier's POST

    Can anyone shed any light on this? Or give some indication on where to
    start looking next? I'm afraid all the obvious paths are exhausted...
    Is there any way of getting IIS to log to a plain and simple text file
    what it is trying to do when the POST comes in from the supplier?

    Thanks in advance,

    Stephane Lobet

    stefan, Mar 21, 2005