POST from external form doesn't work?

Damien

Hi guys,

Before I spend hours barking up the wrong tree, am I right in thinking
that there is no way for a non ASP.NET page to POST to a ASP.NET page
and be able to retrieve the variables in any fashion? So far as I can
determine, the POST gets changed into a GET before it hits any of my
code and the variables have disappeared.

Situation is: We're adding "Membership" services for our clients, and
obviously want our clients to be able to access these services via our
main website - so we've changed the homepage to include a small form
which then submits to a seperate login page (that if it recieves
credentials, does the authentication in the Page_Load and proceeds into
the services area). I really don't want to switch the main website to
ASP.NET (especially since there are already some subfolder of the
mainsite which are ASP.NET, and I've had problems with web.configs
every time I've tested out nesting).

So - what should I do? How should I proceed? Not having the login on
the Homepage (my own preferred solution, which I suggested before we
even started development) is not "politically" acceptable. But as it
is, the only way to pass the credentials is via GET, which means the
password shows up in the status bar. I'm not happy going live with
that...

Damien

Patrice

Should work. Try perhpas to see the IIS log if the request comes originalmly
as a POST and is then transformed into a GET. My first reaction would be
rather that the original page mistakenly POST to the page.

Don"t know what you pass but you could perhaps pass a kind of "ticket"
instead for passing authentication information...

Damien

Patrice said:
Should work. Try perhpas to see the IIS log if the request comes originalmly
as a POST and is then transformed into a GET. My first reaction would be
rather that the original page mistakenly POST to the page.

Don"t know what you pass but you could perhaps pass a kind of "ticket"
instead for passing authentication information...
Yeah, it's definitely POSTing so far as IIS is concerned. Thanks for
trying. Thought of trying to obfuscate the password that's being
passed, but we're not allowed to assume javascript...

Damien

Patrice

So this is a POST. Now how are you trying to retrieve the values ? You
should be able to extract this from the Request.Form collection. What have
you tried that doesn't work ?

Damien

Patrice said:
So this is a POST. Now how are you trying to retrieve the values ? You
should be able to extract this from the Request.Form collection. What have
you tried that doesn't work ?
Sorry,

I hate it when people don't supply enough information, and now I'm
doing the same...

Tried Request.Form, Request.Params, (both = Nothing for the variables),
tried reading the InputStream (nothing there). Tried creating a
HttpModule to grab the values before page processing started and stash
them in the session - it couldn't see them. And the reported Method on
the Request object is "GET", even though, as I said, the IIS logs say
it is POST.

I think that covers all of my confused thinking so far...

Damien