post map simulation: internal signals

Joined
Jun 4, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I try to probe the internal signals in post map (post translate, etc) simulations in Modelsim. Got the simulation working finally. But new problem is that I get lots of sub signal name for each object, mainly from simprim library of Xilinx. Example

Object X
Name:
timingcheckson
xon
loc
init
addr
clk_ipad
rst_ipad

Can anyone please to explain me which name is exactly the one I want to probe?

Gets really frustrated about it. And can't find any tutorial about that (will helpful if any link as well)

Thanks a lot. Don't want to probe signals in Chipscope every time.

Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
If you want to preserve design hierarchy through synthesis and place and route use XST -keep_hierarchy switch (you can acces this throug GUI: select top level entry, right click on Synthesize XST -> Process Properties -> Synthesis Options.

If you want only a few signals to be preserved use signal attribute:
http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx7/books/data/docs/cgd/cgd0109_70.html#wp240141

Notice that this could change the area and timing, especially if you preserve whole design. So i would suggest to use second option.