Post Meta World?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Manchild, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Manchild

    Manchild Guest

    I recently build myself a meta-tag based search engine
    (http://search.floip.com) - not because I think its worth doing on its
    own but because there where a heap of functions I wanted to write in PHP
    and that was a good base.

    One thing I have noticed is that a large proportion of the sites
    submitted do not actually use meta tags. While I can understand the
    keywords tag not really being used because the search engines got wise
    to people loading up on key terms rather than describing their content
    the description tag offered at least the potential of a concise
    description that might actually be useful.

    What I don't understand is while so much if the content online now has
    descriptive information that you can access prior to downloading pages
    that websites and pages themselves in general have no mechanism for this.

    The meta tags may have been good for this but having them included
    within the page themself may have partially defeated the purpose. I
    dunno quite where I am going but it'd be nice to mouse over a link in a
    browser and get the descriptive information appear before having to
    visit the site or download 50k of html just to decide it wasnt what you
    wanted.

    Where does one affectivly add this descriptive information to pages
    these days -- are there any services that actually use it? I was
    looking at the Dublin Core and wondering if anybody actually ever used
    it with pages? -- I have used it to transfer data between services but
    not as descriptive information yet -- I dont see how or where it is
    applied online.

    Whats the skinny with meta-data for webpages/sites these days? Or is it
    just something of a hangover from a the long passed age when AltaVista's
    meta search was the greatest thing online?? :D

    Just seems ironic that I can get RSS info on the inane blog of a 19 year
    old highschool dropout yet with the exception of RSS/RDF on the web you
    get nothing but the web page itself.

    It just seems so --- unordered. We do all the standards stuff, the
    XHMTL, the CSS, but no meta, unless I am truely missing something I
    should know about.

    Clue me in huh?

    James

    Manchild, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Manchild

    Philip Ronan Guest

    "Manchild" wrote:

    > ... it'd be nice to mouse over a link in a
    > browser and get the descriptive information appear before having to
    > visit the site or download 50k of html just to decide it wasnt what you
    > wanted.

    You mean this descriptive information should be obtained directly from the
    target page? That would only invite more spamming and misinformation.
    There's also no way of telling which parts of the target page are relevant
    to the current context. The best thing you can do is add title attributes to
    your own links.

    > Where does one affectivly add this descriptive information to pages
    > these days -- are there any services that actually use it? I was
    > looking at the Dublin Core and wondering if anybody actually ever used
    > it with pages? -- I have used it to transfer data between services but
    > not as descriptive information yet -- I dont see how or where it is
    > applied online.

    Google still uses "description" meta-tags to provide page summaries in some
    circumstances (e.g., when there are no search string matches in the page
    content). Other meta-tags are generally quite useless (e.g., Revisit-After).

    These are the only meta tags I normally use:

    Content-Type
    Content-Style-Type
    Content-Script-Type
    author
    description
    keywords

    > Just seems ironic that I can get RSS info on the inane blog of a 19 year
    > old highschool dropout yet with the exception of RSS/RDF on the web you
    > get nothing but the web page itself.

    I don't quite see the difference there. If you download a RSS feed, you get
    the whole XML file. If you access a web page, you get the whole HTML file.
    The process is identical.

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

    Philip Ronan, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Manchild

    Guy Macon Guest

    Manchild wrote:

    >Whats the skinny with meta-data for webpages/sites these days? Or is it
    >just something of a hangover from a the long passed age when AltaVista's
    >meta search was the greatest thing online??

    I discovered a situation where the keywords have a use. My online
    resume is, on occasion, grabbed and put in an recruiter's database,
    where it is subjected to searches by software that is far less
    sophisticated than the software the search engines use. So, if your
    pages are likely to end up in a database (resumes, articles in medical
    journals, some kinds of help files) you might want to consider filling
    all of the the meta-tags with relevant information.

    --
    Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>

    Guy Macon, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Manchild

    Guest

    Manchild wrote:
    > I recently build myself a meta-tag based search engine
    > (http://search.floip.com)

    Go and read some academic papers, particularly by museums and
    libraries, on "Dublin Core" or "Open Archives Initiative (OAI)"

    , Sep 2, 2005
  5. Manchild

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Manchild wrote:

    > It just seems so --- unordered. We do all the standards stuff, the
    > XHMTL, the CSS, but no meta, unless I am truely missing something I
    > should know about.

    I got myself tonnes of <META> elements on my site.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Sep 2, 2005