Post Win2k service pack 4 problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John P. Looney, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Yesterday, I installed service pack 4 + the latest
    hotfixes on some of my webservers. They run different
    websites, run by different people.

    The problem that all four developed was that any date
    comparisons fail. It turns out that no matter what the
    regional settings are (they should be 'english(ireland)'),
    it returns american date formats, which break some of the
    comparisons.

    Again, these sites had been running for months with no
    problems. Code like;

    strdate = FormatDateTime(Date, vbShortDate)
    sqln = "Select
    newsid,title,category,article,expirydate,publishdate,access_level
    from news where category=" & "'News'" & " and expirydate >
    '" & strdate & "'" & " order by publishdate desc"

    Fails with an error;

    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The
    conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type
    resulted in an out-of-range datetime value.

    This only cropped up after I installed service pack 4. I
    checked every registry setting on the SQL server and the
    webserver, including for the webserver user, and they are
    all set to "british english" or "english (ireland)" where
    appropriate. However, the dates are always coming out of
    the database with american format!

    Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround ?

    John

    John P. Looney, Jul 31, 2003