post xml data back to external resouces in B2B solution

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by c676228, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,

    When an external resouce programmatically post the XML document as content
    of http post request, and at server-side, I can read the XML data from http
    request's
    body. Just like this example provided by Steven Chen:

    #Happy Days Are Here Again: Posting XML to the Server

    After I process the data, I need to write a response message to the external
    resource in xml data format(either succeful messge or failed message). what
    people usually do, do I just write the xml message to response output
    stream(let them extract from my page themselves) or
    post data back to their page (which initially post/submit data to my server
    program).
    Do you have any information about that?
    Thank you.

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Apr 26, 2007

  2. Hi Betty,

    For the question you mentioned here, IMO, it is mostly depend on your
    partner, what's their expected or desired message exchange pattern?

    If they prefer a request/response pattern ,then you should return the XML
    document(contains the data return to your partner) after processing the
    request data and write them into ASP's response stream.

    If they prefer a one way request and async response pattern. For example,
    they will always send one way requests to you, and give you a url address
    to post response data, then, you can freely processing the request data and
    then start a new http post request and post return data to the partner's
    host page.

    For detailed message content, surely, you should use XML document since it
    is easy to maintain and process. And such B2B exchange is mostly done
    through webservice which just encapsulate the underlying XML/soap message
    processing. Anyway, the most important thing is that you and your parnter
    should define a shared message exchange schema and pattern so that you can
    communication correctly.

    Hope this helps some.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Apr 26, 2007

  3. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Steven,
    We probably will select the first option, write my xml format data to
    response stream.
    Thanks for the confirmaiton. I never did it and I just want to make sure I
    did the right way.
    Sincerely
    --
    Betty