PostBack Concept

Matthew Louden

I want to know if the PostBack concept applies to HTML web-based forms,
regardless of what programming technologies we use: For example, ASP,
ASP.NET, Java, CGI, etc...

PostBack means to send the HTML form to the web server? Since most of the
time I heard this term in ASP.NET circle, thats why I raise this question.

Please advise. Thanks!

Miha Markic

Hi Matthew,

Acutally it doesn't send all the form back, it sends only data that is
supposed to send (viewstate, etc).
The the server should reply with new form.

bruce barker

postback means a form post (or get) to the same url (page) as the request
url . look a the following form

http://myserver/myurl

<form method="get" action="myurl.aspx">
<input name=text1 value="default">
<input type=submit value="send"
</form>

if the user presses the submit button, the browser will postback to the
server the form variables (in this case as get). it will look like entering
this url

http://myserver/myurl?text1=default&submit=send

while its common to have the page post to different page by setting the
action, asp.net does not allow this functionality. you will find that most
other system do not use the postback model a lot.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)