Postback failing in 1 control

CJ Taylor

Hey all,

I have a ASP.NET application running on Rainbow Portal, (the forums ahve
been kinda useless).

Anyways, I have a single control that for some reason whenever I hit the
calculate button in it (a simple link button) it will go to the event
procedure, call the proper method and then when I try to access a field in
the web control it comes up with nothing. Like the field is suddenly gone.

For example, txt_Markup is a text field, its a server control, but when I
postback, there is no value. So I checked the variables posted from the
form, not there either.

This is only happening in a single form... wondering if someone could lead
me in the right direction on where to look.

Thanks,
CJ

Kevin Spencer

Can you explain what you mean by "there is no value" - how are you
determining this? Also, what do you mean by a "field in the web control?"
Define what you mean by "field" and "web control".

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
The more I learn, the less I know.

CJ Taylor

Alright I drop a textbox object into the web control. (User Web Control,
inherited from Rainbow.PortalModuleControl or something).

So this should maintain viewstate. that being, if I enter a value into the
textbox control, it should maintain viewstate on a postback (given I'm doing
no databinding).

However, when the postback event occurs, I should be able to reference it
with "this.txt_Markup.text" to get the text value from the postback as I do
with all my other forms.

Nope.

So if I enter text in this box, and hit my link button, which fires an event
called lnk_Calculate.Click which is handled by lnk_Calculate_Click, it works
until I try to retreive that value. And with that, it comes up with
nothing. so if I do a response.write(this.txt_Markup.Text), it shows
nothing.

Hope that helps.

CJ

Kevin Spencer

It's still kind of hard to follow you, but it sounds like when you say you
"drop a textbox object into the web control" you mean that you are adding a
textbox to the control's Controls Collection. If that's the case, you would
have to find the control using the parent Control's FindControl() method.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
The more I learn, the less I know.

CJ Taylor

Sorta...

Think about when you drop a textbox control into a web page... you create an
reference in the codebehind...

you can access the reference on postbacks/pageloads by calling it by its
referenced name and pull the value out... well, for some reason, on every
post back, whether or not htere is a value, it always comes up blank (or
String.empty thatis).