    Is there any way I can do like wachovia?

    Thanks,

    Alex.

    Alex D., May 24, 2006

  2. The postback is just "reloading" the page from the server. The amount of
    time this takes will be a function of:

    1) Your internet connection speed & your PC's speed
    2) The size of the page you are trying to load
    3) The internet connection speed and server speed of the host - in this
    case, Wachovia Bank

    There are lots of things you can do to speed up your pages such as:
    - Frugal use of ViewState
    - Careful management of server-side caching
    - Disabling tracing and AutoEventWireup
    - Precomiling pages, etc, etc

    There are lots of great resources for this kind of thing - try Googling
    "ASP.Net performance"

    HTH,

    Richard.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZCBIYXVlcg==?=, May 24, 2006

  3. Alex D.

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP will
    get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of scripting.
    Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick nicely as
    well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that will
    refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post backs
    however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it doesn't
    *blink.

    --

    ________________________
    Warm regards,

    [Shameless Author plug]
    Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
    The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
    www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
    Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

    Alvin Bruney, May 24, 2006
  4. Alex D.

    Alex D. Guest

    Thanks for your suggestions. But as I said my pages are reallyyy small (10k)
    and I am accessing the site at full 100 mb/s in my intranet and I can still
    see very clearly the blank page between postbacks. Also Wachovia pages dont
    seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very close you will se that
    actually the hole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox or Opera do ...not
    like IE.

    Alex D., May 24, 2006
  5. Alex D.

    Alex D. Guest

    Wachovia pages dont seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very close
    you will se that actually the whoole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox or
    Opera do ...not like IE. This refresh is happening VERY fast to the
    eye...but is happening in the whole page. ???!!!

    Alex D., May 24, 2006
  6. 1. Avoid viewstate like the plague. Unless really necessary.
    2. Use light weight objects such as the repeater instead of the datagrid or
    gridview. I guess Microsoft thinks everyone is running top of the line
    machines for their servers.
    3. Avoid session state all together. Session slows the performance of the
    machine running the web app. Hidden fields is an alternate.
    4. Enable Content Expiration for the web site.
    5. Use datareader instead of dataset or other bulky objects for data access.

    There are many other performance tuning techiques available. Google building
    performance driven applications using asp.net. That should get you some good
    reading material on the subject. It really is an art itself.

    --
    -Demetri

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=, May 24, 2006
  7. By the way, do you have a url to show us what exactly you are looking at? We
    may have different experiences with the pages you are viewing.

    --
    -Demetri

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=, May 24, 2006
  8. Alex D.

    Alex D. Guest

    maybe you are right and the datagrid is causing the problem. the page I was
    using to make tests just have a label and a colorfull datagrid. also maybe
    using soft colors will smooth the transition between pages.

    Alex D., May 24, 2006
  9. Alex D.

    Alex D. Guest

    unfortunately the site I am talking about is already in use and is private.
    but as I tried with opera and firefox and they perform MUCH better than
    IE....but MUCH better to the point that you dont see the postbacks blinks at
    all!!

    Alex D., May 24, 2006
  10. Nah, colors have no bearing on performance. It may only assist in an illusion
    that there is no blinking (e.g. white page background versus a dark page
    background). But that has nothing to do with performance.

    Another thing, don't have images if possible. Some sites i've created have a
    brand or logo and thats fine. But I stay away from using images if I can.
    That is less info that has to be downloaded to the client.

    Again, there are many articles on this subject. I pay attention to those
    written by microsoft since they know the "under the hood" better than others
    would. MSDN Magazine, and MSDN, as well as Patterns and Practices.

    --
    -Demetri

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=, May 24, 2006
  11. Alex D.

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    > 1. Avoid viewstate like the plague. Unless really necessary.
    > 3. Avoid session state all together. Session slows the performance of the
    > machine running the web app. Hidden fields is an alternate.

    These recommendations are not correct and very contrary to MS best
    practices. In particular, hidden fields should be avoided. The session
    recommendation refers to old literature based on classic asp sites. There is
    nothing inherently wrong with viewstate. Dino Esposito's book on asp.net is
    a resource for building scalable web architecture.

    > 5. Use datareader instead of dataset or other bulky objects for data
    > access.

    This recommendation is often very misleading as well and certainly needs
    qualification.
    --

    ________________________

    Alvin Bruney, May 25, 2006
  12. Alex D.

    Guest

    Check out SmartNavigation.

    , May 25, 2006
  13. Alex D.

    Guest

    Check out Atlas.

    , May 25, 2006
  14. Alex D.

    Russell Guest

    ViewStates can get very large. DataGrids, for example, appear to store
    their DataSets in ViewState. I've seen ViewState approach 100Kbytes in
    size, which even under ideal circumstances is over a second and a half
    on a 512Kbit DSL connection.

    Russell, May 25, 2006