Postbacks dies on our server if using client-side validation!?

darrel

This is a follow-up to a question I had yesterday.

Quick summary: our intranet server dies a month or so ago and we had to get
a new one up and running quickly.

Any .net app that ran on the old server was moved over. The catch is that
any of the apps that used client-side validation no longer properly
post-back. And we're not sure why.

In some further testing, I've found that the validation works, but the
postback never happens. So the page is never submitted and, as such, makes
for a rather useless application.

The fix is to turn of javascript and let the validation happen client-side,
but we're stumped as to why this happened.

The proper .js file that .net uses for validation IS being linked to (in IE)
and the file DOES exist on the server.

We're stumped. BTW, these same apps work just fine on our localhost or other
test servers.

-Darrel

sloan

What was the exact result of the mini-test I gave you?

I can't infer from the response below.

You can answer at the other post if you think it will cause confusion here.

darrel

What was the exact result of the mini-test I gave you?

Test one: Simple ASPX page. One text box, one required field validator, one
button, one label.

Pressing the SUBMIT button on this page with an empty text box will generate
a client-side validation error. Pressing the SUBMIT button on this page with
a valid text box does nothing in IE (no submission/postback at all).

Test two (your test): Simple ASPX page. One text box, one custom validator
(calling custom javsacript), one button, one label.

Exact same result. When on this particular server, I can get the script
(alert) to fire, but no postback.

-Darrel

rampabbaraju

Check the permissions on the folder where that .js file resides. It
might not being downloaded to the client machine.

darrel

Check the permissions on the folder where that .js file resides. It
might not being downloaded to the client machine.

The validation happens. So it's using the .js file. It's just that upon
completion of validation, it doesn't submit the page for postback.

Turning off javascript DOES allow it to postback, so there is something
going on that's fishy. But it doesn't appear to be that the .js file isn't

-Darrel