From: Michael Neumann [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 5:49 PM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Cc: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Re: Rails/ActiveRecord + Postgres-pr Question

Abraham said:
Hi David and Michael;

I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies so I thought I'd just ask
both of you if you might know what could be causing the error I'm
getting trying to run a tutorial on Rails. I'm running Rails-0.8.5,
postgres-pr-0.2.1, and a PostgreSQL DB (version 8 RC 3), on Ruby 1.8.2RC3.

The code that evokes the error is as so...

in [todo_controller.rb]

require 'abstract_application'
require 'todo'

class TodoController < AbstractApplicationController
helper :todo
scaffold :todo
end
and in [todo_helper.rb]

module TodoHelper
end

and lastly in [todo.rb]

require 'active_record'
require 'todo'

class Todo < ActiveRecord::Base
end
The issued URL looks like: http://localhost/todo/

The error:

TypeError in Todo#index

superclass mismatch for class ParseError

Hm, ParseError is a class in postgres-pr/message.rb. But I don't understand
the error message "superclass mismatch". Can you update to
0.2.2 which puts all stuff into a module PostgresPR. Maybe it was a
namespace issue?

Regards,

Michael

Dick Davies

* Abraham Vionas said:
I'm running XP, Ruby 1.8.2RC3, Rails 0.8.5, PostgreSQL 8BetaRC3, and
Postgres-pr (new Ruby library).

My problem is that I'm getting an "Unexpected EOF error on client
connection."

Does anyone perchance know what's causing this? It happens both on Webrick
and Apache.

I had it last night for a bit, it was a bad database.yml setting.
Can you get in with psql?

The following database.yml:

production:
adapter: postgresql
database: dbname
host: db.server
username: dbuser
password: dbpass

maps to

psql -U dbuser -h db.server dbname
<enter dbpass when prompted>

If you can't see your tables (type \dt once you're in psql), create them.

Abraham Vionas

Thanks for the helpful instructions Dick. :)

I hadn't yet tried getting in with psql, but using what you described I was
able to get in with the settings I have currently established in the
database.yaml file.

Talk about frustrating, I think I'm gonna have to break out my process
viewer so I can see what files this baby touches. UGH.