    So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
    Isn't that what binary is all about?

    So what's the trick in posting html attachments?
    richard, Jan 7, 2011

  2. On Jan 7, 10:47 am, richard <> wrote:
    > Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
    > about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
    > I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
    > attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.
    >
    > As I recall from the old OE stationery groups, which are all but dried up
    > now, there was something about needing a clssid to go with it.
    >
    > So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
    > Isn't that what binary is all about?
    >
    > So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

    Try publishing on the web and supply a link.

    www.richardfisher.com
    Helpful person, Jan 7, 2011

  3. richard

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jan 7, 12:47 pm, richard <> wrote:
    > Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
    > about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
    > I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
    > attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.

    It depends on how the group is configured. Many Usenet groups will not
    accept html and those that do get many negative comments. Usenet dates
    from a very early era of the internet, and at one time bandwidth was
    much more of a concern than now. Also I would hate to think of the
    commercial ad spam you would get if html were widely used on Usenet.
    For many of the newer formats for forums, bulletin boards, blogs, etc,
    html posts, sometimes with a few restrictions, are allowed depending
    on how the owner of the group desires to set it up. Usually such
    groups that allow html also allow the owner to ban posts from those
    who abuse html posting policies.

    The early WebTV boxes allowed html posts on both their special groups
    and email. I hear that even Javascriot was supported early on, but
    that support was soon dropped because of security concerns.

    > As I recall from the old OE stationery groups, which are all but dried up
    > now, there was something about needing a clssid to go with it.

    A clssid usually concerns an ActiveX object that in gereral is
    supported by IE and a few close relatives.

    > So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
    > Isn't that what binary is all about?

    I will leave this for others :).

    >So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

    Just avoid this by posting a url. On email from large commercial sites
    such as newspapers, you can often select to receive either plain text
    or html with images and even video content. You can view the source
    code for what is going on, and there is more detail than many private
    persons would want to use for personal emil.
    cwdjrxyz, Jan 7, 2011
  4. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Ok before you go bashing me,

    You do know what to expect, eh, RtS? You've earned it.

    > So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
    > Isn't that what binary is all about?

    HTML is not binary. It is text with (textual) markup.

    > So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

    Make a RAR file of it, then post that as the attachment.

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 7, 2011
  5. richard wrote:

    > Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
    > about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.

    Why ask here? Ask in the group where you are have problems...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 8, 2011
  6. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:20:54 +0200, Sid Ismail wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500, Sherm Pendley
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>If it's an attachment, you
    >>atach the file just like any other.

    > NO! No attachments in alt.html!!
    >
    > Post a URL
    >
    > Sid

    hey dickhead! Yeah you.
    In my original post, I stated clearly, "To a binary group as an
    attachment".
    Where do you see the word binaries in alt.html?
    richard, Jan 9, 2011
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500, Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > richard <> writes:
    >
    >> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
    >> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
    >> I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
    >> attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.

    > It depends on what you intend the HTML to be for - if it's supposed to
    > be the message itself, you format the message as multipart/mixed to
    > send both text/html and text/plain parts. If it's an attachment, you
    > atach the file just like any other.
    >
    > sherm--

    I want it to show exactly as you would see on a web site.
    If you have ever been in the old OE stationery groups, then you would know
    it can be done. I recall that the post needed to have a clsid to make it
    show up that way. Of course, I know many clients won't decode the html as
    intended anyway. So I figured I'd just post them in a zip file.
    richard, Jan 9, 2011
  8. On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:34:13 -0700, richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    >>> richard <> writes:

    >>> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
    >>> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.

    >> It depends on what you intend the HTML to be for -

    > I want it to show exactly as you would see on a web site.

    Oh, really??? Just how are you gonna do that in my slrn newsreader?
    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 10, 2011