Posting cookie

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Afton Wynona, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Afton Wynona

    Afton Wynona Guest

    Hi.
    I'm looking to post an http cookie on a sql backend.
    I know I've read about this before, but the solution stumps me.
    I've tried the menu control, I even bought one for 400 dollars, but I still
    can't find the answer.
    It seems like there is a web cast that I saw that showed how to post a
    request and re-process it on the same round trip.
    Anyway, I'm creating a time-tracker program. I have a fleet of 250 taxis. I
    was just hired, and I guess I may have padded my resume, becuase this stuff
    may be beyond me. I can't afford to lose this job too. Anyway, so the point
    of all this is to pull each driver from a list of possible taxis. These can
    be taxis we own, or taxis we are going to own. Once I pull each taxi driver,
    I will assign him a profile or a cookie or something. This much I am certain
    of. After that I will probably assign a list of possible streets and after
    that I will sort them by cell phone number. Each cell phone will get a
    cookie too. What I'm not sure of is whether a user control is valid with a
    cookie. My boss wants me to talk to some programming consultants this
    morning, and honestly, I coudn't answer that question.
    I'm just going to go in there and go headstrong with my theory that each cab
    will get a cookie. I think that is called the postback theory.
    There are other cookies, like a color cookie, and a missing driver cookie.
    Anyway that's why I need to post the cookie on the backend, because these
    consultants are going to ask about it. Now my wife is awake and she is going
    to worry if she sees me up all night studying. Now where does web two-zero
    fit in. I need an antenna cookie too.
    Any help would help.
    Afton Wynona, Sep 28, 2006

  2. You may be starting out with too many assumptions which are not backed
    with a proper of the technologies. You seem to think you can us a
    cookie for everything. What you really need to do is identify people
    or things (taxis, phones) with a ID and then associate profile
    properties and prefereces to those identities.

    Fortunately understanding what you need to know has been documented
    very well here...

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a23c40d6.aspx

    I also wrote up some comments recently about managing data for
    Profiles.

    http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/2006/09/25/robust-custom-profiles/

    Do not concern yourself with cookies. The ASP.NET 2.0 internals will
    handle that for you as the documentation will explain.

    Brennan Stehling

    Brennan Stehling, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Afton Wynona

    Afton Wynona Guest

    Thanks, But I don;t understand a think you said.
    Do you need a cookie?

    Fortunately everyone at work was sick today from spinach.

    Anyway. I did a lot fo cookie thinking, and I am certain that if i can just
    spell out each cookie on the backend it will produce a more robuste database
    for the front end.

    Pleae help.
    God. Please help.
    Afton Wynona, Sep 29, 2006
  4. You just need to read that documentation I linked to in the previous
    email. Thinking about cookies is thinking it about it at the wrong
    level. You may as well be concerned about the color of the ethernet
    cable the users have. The ASP.NET framework works on top of the
    communication layer so you can simply manage profiles with the
    Membership and Profile provider. It is really is quite easy to do once
    you have read up on it.

    Brennan Stehling

    Brennan Stehling, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Afton Wynona