Posting data - Forms vs Tables

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fernie, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
    information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different ways:

    1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
    2. Creating a table without using a form.

    In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem. The only
    difference that I was able to see is that using a form helps me to organize
    and keep my labels and fields aligned on the table. Without the form, I
    noticed that the first row would get out of alignment.

    Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to what
    gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the form?

    Thank you,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Fernie wrote:

    > Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to what
    > gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the form?

    You shouldn't be able to have successful form controls without a <form>
    element. I can only imagine that you have discovered for rather extreme
    form of error correction which goes "Submitting a form... no form... lets
    assume one is around the entire page... no action attribute... lets assume
    its the current URI".

    Depending on error correction is a very bad idea. Other (or newer versions
    of the same) browsers might try to correct for your mistake in a different
    way (or fail entirely).

    If you want to submit form data, you must have a <form> element.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    Thanks David. I have both IE and Mozilla Firefox and it works fine and I've
    noticed no variable accessing problems so far and we have about 6500
    internet submissions using a few of my butchered forms. I really appreciate
    your response and I'll get that corrected right away.

    Best regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 2, 2004
  4. .oO(Fernie)

    >I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
    >information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different ways:
    >
    >1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
    >2. Creating a table without using a form.
    >
    >In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.

    I would like to see 2) in action. I guess it's either invalid code or
    unreliable Javascript. Or both.

    >Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)?

    To submit data to a webserver, either using GET or POST method.

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fernie"
    <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> writing in

    > I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
    > information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different
    > ways:
    >
    > 1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
    > 2. Creating a table without using a form.
    >
    > In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.

    As others have noted, you need that Form element.

    > The only
    > difference that I was able to see is that using a form helps me to
    > organize and keep my labels and fields aligned on the table. Without
    > the form, I noticed that the first row would get out of alignment.

    Use CSS to align your forms - here's an example:
    http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/requiredform.asp .

    That form uses ASP but can easily be ported to another language. Take a
    look at the source code and the CSS.

    You would do well to read this http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Please respond to the Group so others can share

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fernie"
    > <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> writing in
    >
    >> I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
    >> information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different
    >> ways:
    >>
    >> 1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
    >> 2. Creating a table without using a form.
    >>
    >> In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.

    > As others have noted, you need that Form element.
    >
    >> The only
    >> difference that I was able to see is that using a form helps me to
    >> organize and keep my labels and fields aligned on the table. Without
    >> the form, I noticed that the first row would get out of alignment.
    >>

    > Use CSS to align your forms - here's an example:
    > http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/requiredform.asp .
    >
    > That form uses ASP but can easily be ported to another language. Take a
    > look at the source code and the CSS.
    >
    >> Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)? Are there benefits to
    >> what gets posted to the webserver, i.e. only the fields within the
    >> form?
    >>

    > You would do well to read this http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell
    > Please respond to the Group so others can share

    Thanks for the links, and I like your product website.

    Regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    "Michael Fesser" <> wrote in message
    > .oO(Fernie)
    >
    >>I recently started to create some web based forms for people to submit
    >>information to a database via a cgi and I've done it in two different
    >>ways:
    >>
    >>1. Creating a form and inserting a table i.e. <form><table> and by
    >>2. Creating a table without using a form.
    >>
    >>In both cases, I am able to post data without a problem.

    > I would like to see 2) in action. I guess it's either invalid code or
    > unreliable Javascript. Or both.
    >
    >>Anyway, what is the purpose of forms (<form>)?

    > To submit data to a webserver, either using GET or POST method.
    >
    > Micha

    Thanks for your response. Now I'm using forms.

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 4, 2004