Posting remote forms / Getting content off the web

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Casey Wilson, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Casey Wilson

    Casey Wilson Guest

    Hello,

    I learned of Rails, and then Ruby and thought I'd much rather work with
    the language itself first and not the framework.

    So here I am in need of expanding a cron I have that currently updates a
    few of my sites. The cron is a simple BASH script that will call the
    ruby script in from a FOR loop. What I'm looking for right now is a way
    to connect to the remote sites via Ruby, submit my changes to them via
    POST etc.

    It will require the script to log in first.

    If you could point me to the right area of the docs I would be very
    greatful.

    Hopefully one day I'll be able to help others as they come to the forum.

    Thank you for your time.

    -Casey

    Casey Wilson, Jul 28, 2006

  2. Casey Wilson

    Guest

    Hey!

    Welcome to ruby! The Net/HTTP library is probably what you're looking
    for:

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/net/http/rdoc/index.html

    Also, you've no doubt seen it already, but just in case:

    http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

    cheers
    Michael

    Casey Wilson wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I learned of Rails, and then Ruby and thought I'd much rather work with
    > the language itself first and not the framework.
    >
    > So here I am in need of expanding a cron I have that currently updates a
    > few of my sites. The cron is a simple BASH script that will call the
    > ruby script in from a FOR loop. What I'm looking for right now is a way
    > to connect to the remote sites via Ruby, submit my changes to them via
    > POST etc.
    >
    > It will require the script to log in first.
    >
    > If you could point me to the right area of the docs I would be very
    > greatful.
    >
    > Hopefully one day I'll be able to help others as they come to the forum.
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > -Casey

    , Jul 28, 2006