Posting to the moderated group

Fraser Ross

When I post to comp.lang.c++.moderated I can see my post straight away with
the server I posted with. If I view messages with a different server I
don't see my post. Does my server have a fault or do they always do this?
It looks like it caches my post without finding it. I don't seem to have
ever had any posts approved but that is irrelevant.

Fraser.

Victor Bazarov

Fraser said:
When I post to comp.lang.c++.moderated I can see my post straight away with
the server I posted with. If I view messages with a different server I
don't see my post. Does my server have a fault or do they always do this?

It might have a fault. I don't see my posts right away because they are
not necessarily accepted/approved.
It looks like it caches my post without finding it.

'Without finding it'? You mean 'without actually submitting it', right?
I don't seem to have
ever had any posts approved but that is irrelevant.

You don't? You mean, I never see your posts in c.l.c++.m? Hmm... I can't
say I paid attention, but I could if you want me to...

I just checked with Google Groups and only posts I can see of yours are in
comp.lang.c++ (no .moderated ones). You might want to go the other route,
and e-mail your posts to the submission address. See the signature in any
of the posts in comp.lang.c++.moderated for an explanation.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Fraser Ross:
When I post to comp.lang.c++.moderated I can see my post straight away with
the server I posted with. If I view messages with a different server I
don't see my post. Does my server have a fault or do they always do this?
It looks like it caches my post without finding it. I don't seem to have
ever had any posts approved but that is irrelevant.

Most likely your news-server is incorrectly configured: it should be sending
your posted message to the moderators for approval, but instead treats clc++m
as a non-moderated group (and without approval your article isn't propagated).

See <url: http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm> for advice on how to mail the
moderators directly, and other issues.

You can check your news-server's configuration by telnet'ing; my ISP's news-
server is or at least was incorrectly configured, and it looked like this:

200 a217-118-32-43.bluecom.no NNTPCache server V3.0.1 [see www.nntpcache.org] ...
Sep 26 2002 ready (posting ok, 40715 groups available).
LIST ACTIVE comp.lang.c++.moderated
215
comp.lang.c++.moderated 132119 124540 y

When it's correctly configured you should see an 'm' instead of a 'y'.

Fraser Ross

"Victor Bazarov"
this?

It might have a fault. I don't see my posts right away because they are
not necessarily accepted/approved.
I know they have to be approved.
'Without finding it'? You mean 'without actually submitting it', right?
No I mean it stores it before knowing that it is on the system. It is
probably submitting my posts. I don't actually know how the newsgroup
system works but presumably there is a central server of some sort.

Fraser.

Victor Bazarov

Fraser said:
[...] I don't actually know how the newsgroup
system works but presumably there is a central server of some sort.

Trying not to sound condescending... You might actually consider
familiarising yourself with Usenet, since you're using it. And, no,
there isn't a central server. However, for each moderated newsgroup
there is usually an address (or several addresses) (e-mail) where the
article is sent when it's submitted by an NNTP client to a [correctly
configured] server.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

Alf P. Steinbach

* Fraser Ross:
I don't actually know how the newsgroup
system works but presumably there is a central server of some sort.

Nope, and this is now off-topic (see my earlier reply for advice).

Stephen Howe

Nope, and this is now off-topic (see my earlier reply for advice).

Why is that?
I thought anything that is a "meta-topic" or "meta-meta-topic" etc is
on-topic and only "topic" material is either on-topic or off-topic.

Stephen Howe