    It looks like it caches my post without finding it. I don't seem to have
    ever had any posts approved but that is irrelevant.

    Fraser.

    Fraser Ross, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Fraser Ross wrote:
    > When I post to comp.lang.c++.moderated I can see my post straight away with
    > the server I posted with. If I view messages with a different server I
    > don't see my post. Does my server have a fault or do they always do this?

    It might have a fault. I don't see my posts right away because they are
    not necessarily accepted/approved.

    > It looks like it caches my post without finding it.

    'Without finding it'? You mean 'without actually submitting it', right?

    > I don't seem to have
    > ever had any posts approved but that is irrelevant.

    You don't? You mean, I never see your posts in c.l.c++.m? Hmm... I can't
    say I paid attention, but I could if you want me to...

    I just checked with Google Groups and only posts I can see of yours are in
    comp.lang.c++ (no .moderated ones). You might want to go the other route,
    and e-mail your posts to the submission address. See the signature in any
    of the posts in comp.lang.c++.moderated for an explanation.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 13, 2005

  3. * Fraser Ross:
    > When I post to comp.lang.c++.moderated I can see my post straight away with
    > the server I posted with. If I view messages with a different server I
    > don't see my post. Does my server have a fault or do they always do this?
    > It looks like it caches my post without finding it. I don't seem to have
    > ever had any posts approved but that is irrelevant.

    Most likely your news-server is incorrectly configured: it should be sending
    your posted message to the moderators for approval, but instead treats clc++m
    as a non-moderated group (and without approval your article isn't propagated).

    See <url: http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm> for advice on how to mail the
    moderators directly, and other issues.

    You can check your news-server's configuration by telnet'ing; my ISP's news-
    server is or at least was incorrectly configured, and it looked like this:

    200 a217-118-32-43.bluecom.no NNTPCache server V3.0.1 [see www.nntpcache.org] ...
    Sep 26 2002 ready (posting ok, 40715 groups available).
    LIST ACTIVE comp.lang.c++.moderated
    215
    comp.lang.c++.moderated 132119 124540 y

    When it's correctly configured you should see an 'm' instead of a 'y'.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Fraser Ross

    Fraser Ross Guest

    "Victor Bazarov"
    > Fraser Ross wrote:
    > > When I post to comp.lang.c++.moderated I can see my post straight away

    with
    > > the server I posted with. If I view messages with a different server I
    > > don't see my post. Does my server have a fault or do they always do

    this?

    > It might have a fault. I don't see my posts right away because they are
    > not necessarily accepted/approved.

    I know they have to be approved.

    > > It looks like it caches my post without finding it.

    > 'Without finding it'? You mean 'without actually submitting it', right?

    No I mean it stores it before knowing that it is on the system. It is
    probably submitting my posts. I don't actually know how the newsgroup
    system works but presumably there is a central server of some sort.

    Fraser.

    Fraser Ross, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Fraser Ross wrote:
    > [...] I don't actually know how the newsgroup
    > system works but presumably there is a central server of some sort.

    Trying not to sound condescending... You might actually consider
    familiarising yourself with Usenet, since you're using it. And, no,
    there isn't a central server. However, for each moderated newsgroup
    there is usually an address (or several addresses) (e-mail) where the
    article is sent when it's submitted by an NNTP client to a [correctly
    configured] server.

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 13, 2005
  6. * Fraser Ross:

    > I don't actually know how the newsgroup
    > system works but presumably there is a central server of some sort.

    Nope, and this is now off-topic (see my earlier reply for advice).

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Fraser Ross

    Stephen Howe Guest

    > Nope, and this is now off-topic (see my earlier reply for advice).

    Why is that?
    I thought anything that is a "meta-topic" or "meta-meta-topic" etc is
    on-topic and only "topic" material is either on-topic or off-topic.

    Stephen Howe

    Stephen Howe, Jun 16, 2005