POST'ing XML from VB ASP to Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Bob, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have a client that is trying to post XML data to my Perl script
    using the following VB code and I am having difficulty getting the XML
    data. I do not see it in the normal ENV. My side is an apache server
    running mod_perl. I have run tcpdump and can see the XML is making it
    to my server. I have no control over the VB code. Can anyone point
    me in the right direction? I have looked into HTTP::Request but I can
    not seem to make it work properly.

    -------VB CODE-------
    <%
    Set objdom = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    objdom.async = False
    objdom.Load ("d:\inetpub\wwwroot\myxml.xml")

    destination = "http://myserver.com/cgi-bin/XMLReceive.pl"
    Set http = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
    With http
    .Open "POST", destination, False
    .send objdom
    end with

    %>
    -------END VB CODE-------

    Bob, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Bob wrote:

    > I have a client that is trying to post XML data to my Perl script
    > using the following VB code and I am having difficulty getting the XML
    > data. I do not see it in the normal ENV. My side is an apache server
    > running mod_perl. I have run tcpdump and can see the XML is making it
    > to my server. I have no control over the VB code. Can anyone point
    > me in the right direction? I have looked into HTTP::Request but I can
    > not seem to make it work properly.

    I don't do VB, so I'm unclear on what this example is doing exactly.

    Is it using a standard HTTP post, like a browser would do when
    submitting an HTML form? If that's the case, you need to use either
    CGI.pm or (since you're using mod_perl) Apache::Request. Looking in %ENV
    and trying to parse what you find there is *not* the "normal" way to
    parse form data. Using one of the standard modules is.

    If the VB is sending something via XML-RPC, it looks like there's a CPAN
    module that will help with that too: Apache::RPC::Server. I haven't used
    it though, so I can't help you with it.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Dec 2, 2004