Potentially OT[?]: Question about gcc ...

Big Bird

I'm posting this here as I cannot find any ng that would talk about a
particular implementation.

In essence I was curious what to do about gcc-3x which seems to
produce slower and slower code with each incrementing version number.
As of right now (3.3.something) I get stuff that takes about twice as
long (to run, I don't care about compile time) than the binary
produced by 2.96 from the same source. Is this going to change any
time soon? Will gcc3 ever produce code as well optimized as the 2x
stuff? Should I keep a 2.96 installation and compile/link everything
statically? I don't even think I really undestand what benefits there
are to 3x over 2x...

Apologies if this isn't the right NG for this question, but googling
on "gcc 2x 3x" or similar terms leads strictly to this newsgroup...

Ben Pfaff

Apologies if this isn't the right NG for this question, but googling
on "gcc 2x 3x" or similar terms leads strictly to this newsgroup...

How did you manage to miss newsgroups like gnu.gcc.help?

E. Robert Tisdale

Big said:
I'm posting this here as I cannot find any ng
that would talk about a particular implementation.

Try the gnu.gcc.help newsgroup.
Lots of subscribers to comp.lang.c also subscribe to gnu.gcc.help
In essence I was curious what to do about gcc-3x which seems to
produce slower and slower code with each incrementing version number.
As of right now (3.3.something) I get stuff that takes about twice as
long (to run, I don't care about compile time) than the binary
produced by 2.96 from the same source. Is this going to change any
time soon? Will gcc3 ever produce code as well optimized as the 2x
stuff? Should I keep a 2.96 installation and compile/link everything
statically? I don't even think I really undestand what benefits there
are to 3x over 2x...

Apologies if this isn't the right NG for this question, but googling
on "gcc 2x 3x" or similar terms leads strictly to this newsgroup...

The 3.x compiler is an all new re-write
which is attempting, first, to comply with the new standards.
Once they have done that, they will start work on optimizing in earnest.
Take a look at the GCC home page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/

Martin Ambuhl

(e-mail address removed) (Big Bird) wrote (08 Jul 2003) in
/ comp.lang.c:
I'm posting this here as I cannot find any ng that would talk
about a particular implementation.

We do portable C, not particular implementations.
In essence I was curious what to do about gcc-3x which seems to
produce slower and slower code with each incrementing version
number.

Doesn't one of
seem more appropriate to you?