power calculation in fpga

sunil

hi,
i designed decoder in vhdl and i am going to map that on vertex-II
xilinx FPGA. Can any body have the idea how to calculate the power
consumption in that design.
thanking u all.

Benjamin Todd

if you look on the Xilinx web-site they have power calculation tools, you
need to know the resources used and the clock frequency, as far as I can
remember.
Ben

Brendan Cullen

Here is the particular area on Xilinx's web-site :
http://www.xilinx.com/ise/power_tools/.

Xilinx provides 2 types of power estimation tools - pre-implementation
(Spreadsheet and Web) and design-based (XPower).

Both pre-implementation tools are directly accessible from the above site
and, as Benjamin points out, require resource and frequency i/ps from the
users.

XPower comes as part of ISE and requires a design that has been at least
mapped. (It also operates on a placed design or on a placed & routed
design.)

All three tools support V2.

Regards,

Brendan