ppm: ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

Marko Faldix

Hello,

I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.

I want to install Spreadsheet::parseExcel.
I have to call

ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

Gives this result:

C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
Panic: Can't find bfs section

Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

Thanks for solutions.

Marko Faldix

Matt Garrish

Marko Faldix said:
Hello,

I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.

I want to install Spreadsheet::parseExcel.
I have to call

ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

Gives this result:

C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
Panic: Can't find bfs section

Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

There was a buggy version of ppm included with one of the 5.6 releases, but
I haven't heard anything about it in the 5.8 releases. You might have to
re-install using a earlier build and let AS know it's broken again. It would
also probably be more beneficial to try posting to the AS mailing lists, as
ppm is their software:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/

Matt

Marko Faldix

Hello,

[snip]
There was a buggy version of ppm included with one of the 5.6 releases, but
I haven't heard anything about it in the 5.8 releases. You might have to
re-install using a earlier build and let AS know it's broken again. It would
also probably be more beneficial to try posting to the AS mailing lists, as
ppm is their software:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/

Matt

you are right! Uninstalling old version 5.6 and reinstalling 5.8 fixes it.
Thank you very much!

Marko Faldix

James Willmore

Hello,

I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.

I want to install Spreadsheet::parseExcel.
I have to call

ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

Why do you have to call it this way?
Why not
C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel

Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

Don't know. I install using PPM with just the module name and all works
fine. Have you consulted ActiveState's Knowledgebase?

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.