ppm: ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Marko Faldix, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Marko Faldix

    Marko Faldix Guest

    Hello,

    I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.

    I want to install Spreadsheet::parseExcel.
    I have to call

    ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

    Gives this result:

    C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
    Panic: Can't find bfs section

    Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

    Thanks for solutions.

    Marko Faldix

    Marko Faldix, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Marko Faldix

    Matt Garrish Guest

    Re: ppm install Spreadsheet::parseExcel

    "Marko Faldix" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.
    >
    > I want to install Spreadsheet::parseExcel.
    > I have to call
    >
    > ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
    >
    > Gives this result:
    >
    > C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
    > Panic: Can't find bfs section
    >

    > Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it

    mean?

    There was a buggy version of ppm included with one of the 5.6 releases, but
    I haven't heard anything about it in the 5.8 releases. You might have to
    re-install using a earlier build and let AS know it's broken again. It would
    also probably be more beneficial to try posting to the AS mailing lists, as
    ppm is their software:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Marko Faldix

    Marko Faldix Guest

    Re: ppm install Spreadsheet::parseExcel

    Hello,

    [snip]

    > > Gives this result:
    > >
    > > C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd
    > > Panic: Can't find bfs section
    > >

    > > Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it

    > mean?
    > >

    > There was a buggy version of ppm included with one of the 5.6 releases,

    but
    > I haven't heard anything about it in the 5.8 releases. You might have to
    > re-install using a earlier build and let AS know it's broken again. It

    would
    > also probably be more beneficial to try posting to the AS mailing lists,

    as
    > ppm is their software:
    >
    > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/
    >
    > Matt

    you are right! Uninstalling old version 5.6 and reinstalling 5.8 fixes it.
    Thank you very much!

    Marko Faldix

    Marko Faldix, Jan 26, 2004
  4. On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:29:07 +0100, Marko Faldix wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed Perl v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread on Win2k.
    >
    > I want to install Spreadsheet::parseExcel.
    > I have to call
    >
    > ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.ppd

    Why do you have to call it this way?
    Why not
    C:\Perl>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel

    <snip>

    > Every call to ppm with any parameters gives this message. What does it mean?

    Don't know. I install using PPM with just the module name and all works
    fine. Have you consulted ActiveState's Knowledgebase?

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.