PPM problems

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David McDivitt, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. I read what I could find about package importing prior to posting. When I
    typed:

    ppm install DBI

    I received an error and what I read indicated it was because of our
    firewall. I displayed connection properties in internet explorer and found
    the following:

    a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080

    The following environment variable was added to Win2000:

    set HTTP_PROXY=a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080

    Now I the following error with PPM:

    Error: No valid repositories: Error: 501 Protocol scheme
    'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported Error: 501 Protocol
    scheme 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported

    DBI.zip was downloaded from ActivePerl and unzipped into a folder honoring
    folder names in the zip file. When I type the following:

    ppm install DBI.ppd

    I still get the internet error above. I would like to know two things.
    First, how do I get rid of the internet error so I don't have to download
    stuff. Second, why is it trying to use the internet if I invoked PPM from
    within the directory I unzipped the files. Thanks

    David McDivitt, Sep 22, 2003

  2. David McDivitt

    D Borland Guest

    Does your firewall require a username and password, if so i believe you need
    to set HTTP_proxy_user and HTTP_proxy_pass

    If that isn't it you can try here, were you'll see many people seem to
    suffer from ppm http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/ppm

    Hope tat helps you

    Dagmar

    D Borland, Sep 22, 2003

  3. David McDivitt

    Bob Walton Guest

    David McDivitt wrote:

    > I read what I could find about package importing prior to posting. When I
    > typed:
    >
    > ppm install DBI
    >
    > I received an error and what I read indicated it was because of our
    > firewall. I displayed connection properties in internet explorer and found
    > the following:
    >
    > a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080
    >
    > The following environment variable was added to Win2000:
    >
    > set HTTP_PROXY=a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us:8080
    >
    > Now I the following error with PPM:
    >
    > Error: No valid repositories: Error: 501 Protocol scheme
    > 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported Error: 501 Protocol
    > scheme 'a03.zzzz.zzzz.zz.us' is not supported
    >
    > DBI.zip was downloaded from ActivePerl and unzipped into a folder honoring
    > folder names in the zip file. When I type the following:
    >
    > ppm install DBI.ppd
    >
    > I still get the internet error above. I would like to know two things.
    > First, how do I get rid of the internet error so I don't have to download
    > stuff. Second, why is it trying to use the internet if I invoked PPM from
    > within the directory I unzipped the files. Thanks

    I think you'll have to follow the detail of your proxy

    server implementation to the letter, including the

    provision of a userID and password, in order to get
    the internet repositories to work. To get your own
    files to work, you will need to add the directory
    where they appear to your list of "active repositories".
    Look at the "ppm repository add" command in perldoc ppm.
    If you didn't get the proxy to work, you might need to
    "ppm repository delete" the default internet repository.

    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Thanks Bob and Dagmar.

    >From: Bob Walton <>
    >Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:44:11 GMT

    <snip>

    http://nonspiritual.com
    http://freeconservative.org

    David McDivitt, Sep 23, 2003
  5. My problem was I did not place HTTP:// in front of the string assigned to
    the HTTP_PROXY environment variable.

    David McDivitt, Sep 24, 2003